DIY Forum


Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest


DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum




It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 12:05 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:19 pm 
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 pm
Posts: 145
Location: Aberdeenshire
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0 times

I've got a retaining wall behind my house that supports the ground that my house and garden sit on.

It's not in good appearance, with render cracking and falling off. The coping tiles on the top are breaking apart, and most of the wall is generally rather damp in appearance.

The length of wall is about 20 meters and 5 foot tall. The house is 1.5metres from the wall at the closest point.

Strange thing about the wall is that there are only two weep holes either side of the closest point to the house. Interestingly that's the place where the wall appears to be driest.

It's been on my todo list to do something about this wall for as long as I've lived here (10 years), and the house and presumably the wall is about 26 years old.

The wall is plumb and has demonstrated no signs of leaning or other strain, but there is one large crack that appears to be due to water ingress from a gap between two coping tiles.

So my question, should more weep holes be added, and if so is it a simple matter of drilling with a core drill, or are things a lot more involved than that (like demolish and rebuild kind of involved)?

Not sure on the type of soil, but it drains easily.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:12 pm 
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 8695
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 1479 times
In theory if you drill a hole through the wall you will let the water out / stop it building up, how ever in practice what you have done is given the water more ways to get into the wall, since it now can not only seep in through the front in can move a long and seep in where ever it wants to, since it now has a tunnel.

I would however suggest you drill a hole through of X+1mm diameter and push a pipe through the hole, creating a liner so water can run through, but not go any where else. The pipe would be a diameter of X since the hole is X+1mm.

Fret not, a forum is a collection of opinions. Above, are mine.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 



Similar topics

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Solent plastics




News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy



Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group