DIY Forum

 

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:43 pm
Visit Thermo worx


Time zone: Europe/London




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:28 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:37 pm
Posts: 70
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 1 times
Another area I thought I'd research before drawing up the plans for both spray booth and shed. I'd like to know the pros and cons of Weatherboard, Shiplap and Tongue and Groove as exterior cladding. Anyone care to share their views?

Thanks :)


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:23 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:08 pm
Posts: 905
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 167 times
Personally I'm more in favour of the overlapping weatherboard. This is largely from the experience of having a shiplap covered shed that over time shrank to the extent that the boards parted and tongues left their grooves. Ok so I was able to remove it and tighten it all up but I've never had to do that with weatherboard. I have four sheds that are weatherboard but for my workshop I've used coroline corrugated sheeting over ply without any issues and without any maintainence to boot.
Never used tongue and groove though I have seen it used both vertically and diagonally. I would assume that it would have the same attributes as shiplap.



For this message the author Grendel has received gratitude : The Z'eer
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:28 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:51 pm
Posts: 7277
Has thanked: 349 times
Been thanked: 1296 times
I doubt that this will cover everything, just what I can think of: both Shiplap and T&G are most likely to be a planed finish and will require a different treatment (with paintbrush) than weatherboard which is more likely to be a sawn finish.

Weatherboard is the simplest to repair if it ever gets damaged or eventually rots. T&G has nowhere to go if it gets damp and expands and can spring off over quite a large area.

For longevity and something virtually maintenance free you'd be better looking at cement board cladding.

_________________
One day it will all be firewood.



For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : The Z'eer
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:54 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:37 pm
Posts: 70
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 1 times
Grendel wrote:
Personally I'm more in favour of the overlapping weatherboard. This is largely from the experience of having a shiplap covered shed that over time shrank to the extent that the boards parted and tongues left their grooves. Ok so I was able to remove it and tighten it all up but I've never had to do that with weatherboard. I have four sheds that are weatherboard but for my workshop I've used coroline corrugated sheeting over ply without any issues and without any maintainence to boot.
Never used tongue and groove though I have seen it used both vertically and diagonally. I would assume that it would have the same attributes as shiplap.


Ok , so the Shiplap is to be avoided then. Seemingly from your experience Weatherboard appear to be the more reliable solution. I can't believe the Shiplap shrank, I'm guessing it wasn't quality timber?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:58 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:37 pm
Posts: 70
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 1 times
ayjay wrote:
I doubt that this will cover everything, just what I can think of: both Shiplap and T&G are most likely to be a planed finish and will require a different treatment (with paintbrush) than weatherboard which is more likely to be a sawn finish.

Weatherboard is the simplest to repair if it ever gets damaged or eventually rots. T&G has nowhere to go if it gets damp and expands and can spring off over quite a large area.

For longevity and something virtually maintenance free you'd be better looking at cement board cladding.


Weatherboard seems to be minimal maintenance though? I'll avoid the Tongue and Groove and Shiplap then on the basis of complications of dampness. Aesthetically the weatherboard is better appearance and price wise works out better than cement board cladding?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:56 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 187
Location: dublin, Ireland
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times
If you can sourse it waney edge timber is a beautiful finish that gets better looking over time


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:48 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:51 pm
Posts: 7277
Has thanked: 349 times
Been thanked: 1296 times
giggles wrote:
If you can sourse it waney edge timber is a beautiful finish that gets better looking over time


:withstupid:

Attachment:
DSCF1767 modified.jpg
DSCF1767 modified.jpg [ 527.52 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]


Attachment:
DSCF1768 modified.jpg
DSCF1768 modified.jpg [ 834.61 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]




.............but it may not look "right" on a small shed: not sure. :scratch:

_________________
One day it will all be firewood.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 


Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO