DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:31 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:56 pm 
Newly registered Member

The image below shows a plan view of a bathroom with the location of a bath.

The green circles are the locations of an overhead ceiling shower (centre of bath) and a wall-mounted shower.

The lower left corner is an open alcove from floor to ceiling.

There is obviously potential for water to go into this area, so what possible remedies could be used to prevent this?

Obviously the entire alcove could be blocked off, but I'd rather this wasn't done unless there's no alternative. That is, as the bathroom is 1.4m x 1.7m only.

Perhaps (marine?) plywood could be cut to shape to fit in the alcove from the bath lip to maybe a height of 30cm above the bath. Then some combination of tanking liquid product applied or a cement board applied, or waterproof matting, then tiling. What do you think - thanks!

Attachments:
bathroom plan.jpg
bathroom plan.jpg [ 39.16 KiB | Viewed 355 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:28 pm 

Never tile on ply, it will not last. Make a frame and sheath it in Aquapanel. This is a cement based substrate for tiling that will be ideal in this situation. Costs about £17 in Wickes for 900 by 1200 panel. Easy to saw to fit in.

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : Possom
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:46 pm 
Newly registered Member

dewaltdisney wrote:
Never tile on ply, it will not last. Make a frame and sheath it in Aquapanel. This is a cement based substrate for tiling that will be ideal in this situation. Costs about £17 in Wickes for 900 by 1200 panel. Easy to saw to fit in.

DWD

And would it be okay to make the frame, apply plywood to the upside of this then fit the aquapanel on top, then tile?

I'm just assuming that the aquapanel is as (not) strong as plasterboard therefore if any weight was ever applied to it it could fall through.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:49 pm 

Yes, you can do if you feel happier. A good frame can obviate the need but a belt and braces approach will give you peace of mind. Calculate the levels of frame, ply, adhesive, and tile to get it flush with the bath. Additionally, if your confident in your DIY, you could create a shallow fall on the panel so water runs off and does not stand.

DWD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:56 pm 
Newly registered Member

Approximately how much higher do you think the back end would have to be compared to the front?

Do you think it should something which is hardly noticeable, such as 5 mm or something much more extreme, for example, 30 cm?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:14 pm 

It only has to be very shallow. You can shim up the ply one end to form it. You will see the most pleasing angle with your eye, if it looks right it is right. :thumbright: Do not over focus on it, most folks have a quick wipe down after a shower :thumbright:

DWD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:59 am 
Newly registered Member

What would have to be done differently to the room to make it a wet room?

I was intending to lay marine ply on the floor. Cement board on the stud walls.

In addition to this, would I apply (for example) Homelux floor matting over the ply floor before tiling, and Homelux wall matting over the cement wall board before tiling?

I believe the overlapping of matting gives even greater protection than the simple butted together cement board.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:13 am 

I dunno, I have never done a wet room and to be fair I have always avoided them like the plague. everyone I know who had one suffered leaks at some point. I think you have to think on for the future and if you sell your house it is a turn off for lots of people if there is no bath.

Just my view

DWD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:27 am 
Newly registered Member

dewaltdisney wrote:
I think you have to think on for the future and if you sell your house it is a turn off for lots of people if there is no bath.

Yes, I agree with this.

What I really meant, is if the room were kept precisely as per the plan, but with it adequately "proofed" so that even if someone didn't use a bath screen when having a shower, this wouldn't cause issues.

But now I think of it, that would mean water outlet piped into the floor to allow any drainage (presumably).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:37 am 

Yes, that problem is easily avoided with a screen. This sort of thing is perfectly adequate https://www.screwfix.com/p/radius-edge- ... 00mm/6278p it swings out the way for easier access as it is hinged.

DWD