DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:06 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:03 pm 
Newly registered Member

I have done some research via the net for this enquiry, but so far it isn't really turning up any definitive answers. I have read that either too much or too little can effect the final strength of the concrete.

Can anyone advise to how much water should be mixed for a 1 cement to 4 ballast ratio?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:35 pm 

Difficult to give an amount because it depends a lot on how wet the ballast or sand is to start with.
Rule of thumb is that the mix needs enough water to make it workable, so for example you would need a wetter mix for bricklaying mortar than for laying a screed. More for a render mix than for pointing.
Too much water will weaken it, but you have to be able to work with it
What is the concrete for? 4/1 is quite a strong mix. More cement means more shrinkage cracking.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:02 pm 
Newly registered Member

stuart45 wrote:
Difficult to give an amount because it depends a lot on how wet the ballast or sand is to start with.
Rule of thumb is that the mix needs enough water to make it workable, so for example you would need a wetter mix for bricklaying mortar than for laying a screed. More for a render mix than for pointing.
Too much water will weaken it, but you have to be able to work with it
What is the concrete for? 4/1 is quite a strong mix. More cement means more shrinkage cracking.

I purchased Blue Circle 25 kg bags pf regular cement, the instructions on the back said a 1:4. I'm using it for concreting in fence posts. I made the mix rough, it was workable kinda like a dry bolognese sauce, claggy if you like. I hope it doesn't crack!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:17 pm 

A few shrinkage cracks is not a problem for concreting in fence posts. It's more when doing something like a floor. Not a structural problem, more for looks, so movement joints are often used.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:34 pm 

Next time you do fence posts buy bags of postcrete instead of mixing up concrete.Quicker,cheaper,less labour intensive and you can work on the fence within an hour.

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received thanks - 2: Ktuludays, The Z'eer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:02 pm 
Newly registered Member

steviejoiner74 wrote:
Next time you do fence posts buy bags of postcrete instead of mixing up concrete.Quicker,cheaper,less labour intensive and you can work on the fence within an hour.

I don't know about it being cheaper per kilo than self mixing concrete, but yes it WILL be a damn site easier and quicker! Next time...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:31 pm 

I done my fencing using postcrete, fairly wet mix, very workable. As long as the posts are 2 foot under ground level and the holes are decent then you'll be fine. 3 years on mine haven't moved.