Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:35 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:01 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello

My mum and dad purchased our current house 11 months ago (April 2018). There were no issues raised within the surveyor's report and we moved in with the expectation that there were no structural issues and that the general decor just needed "bringing up to date".

We had the existing patio doors removed and bi-fold doors installed in the summer. We had a few issues with the installation, namely: poorly fitting seals, broken handles, ill-fitting lock escutcheons, and damaged blinds sealed within the glass. The issues were sorted after a number of weeks and my dad made final payment.

My dad then paid for the walls around the bi-folds to be plastered, for new skirting boards to be fitted, and for the walls to be painted.

This week we have seen quite a lot of rain due to Storm Gareth. The house is quite exposed at the back as it overlooks a valley so the rain and wind has been lashing the rear wall of the property. I noticed yesterday that in the top corners of the recess around the bi-fold doors, water has started soaking through (please see attached pictures) and running down the inside wall. If you place your hand in the corner where the water is coming in, you can feel a slight breeze although I understand that this may be normal for doors of this nature (?). Today, I noticed that water has also started emerging in the middle of the recess (again, please see attached pictures).

My concern is that there didn't appear to be any evidence of water leaking in prior to having the bi-fold doors installed e.g. freshly painted areas (although I could be wrong) and we don't have this issue anywhere else at the rear of the property e.g. recesses around windows.

I don't know if I'm jumping to conclusions but:

1) Does anyone know whether it could be that the doors haven't been sealed properly on the outside or whether its more likely that the water is coming in through the stone lintel/pointing/bricks above the doors on the outside and tracking across?

2) Would a waterproofing paint be sufficient to prevent a recurrence of the issue if it is a problem with the bricks? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for brands?

3) Are we guaranteed to get damp or would it be ok to let the area properly dry out before re-painting (assuming we take appropriate action beforehand to stop a recurrence of the issue)?

Apologies for the amateur nature of this post, I'm your typical 24 year old girl who lives at home with her parents and doesn't have a clue about these sorts of things. I'm just worried as my dad has had to pay out quite a lot of money making unanticipated changes to the property, and he's edging towards breaking point. We're making arrangements for someone to come out and assess the issue but it's playing on my mind.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments:
IMG_9248_DxO.jpg
IMG_9248_DxO.jpg [ 596.47 KiB | Viewed 350 times ]
IMG_9245_DxO.jpg
IMG_9245_DxO.jpg [ 659.33 KiB | Viewed 350 times ]
IMG_9244_DxO.jpg
IMG_9244_DxO.jpg [ 612.91 KiB | Viewed 350 times ]
IMG_9242_DxO.jpg
IMG_9242_DxO.jpg [ 616.77 KiB | Viewed 350 times ]
IMG_9240_DxO.jpg
IMG_9240_DxO.jpg [ 531.17 KiB | Viewed 350 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious

For this message the author Ellvee has received gratitude : arco_iris
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:52 pm 

:welcomeuhm: Ellvee,

This is not an uncommon issue given the inclement weather, however it should not be happening at all and needs to be fixed, ideally by the firm that supplied and fitted the doors because they have not done it properly.

The problem almost certainly stems from a lack of sealant on the OUTSIDE where the new frame meets the fabric of the house. If you go outside you will probably see a "crack", a tiny gap, all the way round the edge of the frame. This should have a bead of sealant (like you may see round the top of your bath) in and over it. Can you photograph it for us?

You have come to a do-it-yourself "help & advice" type of forum, and we can tell you how to fix it - is that what you want? Are you & Dad "handy" with a tube of the correct sealant from a diy store & a sealant applicator gun (costs about a tenner or so)? There are plenty of videos online telling you how to do it as well.

If you yourself have a go, it will stand you in very good stead for future, you ought to learn these things!

For this message the author arco_iris has received gratitude : Ellvee
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:22 pm 

Since my reply, I had a quick search on youtube for "sealing windows outside".

Several clips are american, though of course the principle is the same; I watched a british one by "The Carpenter's Daughter", which although will give you the idea, I personally didn't much like the way she went about it!

So I'm not going to post any particular link, have a look for yourself, Ellvee, it's not difficult. If nothing else, the vids do point out the gap I referred to.

But the window installer should be doing it for you, should have done it properly in the first place!

For this message the author arco_iris has received gratitude : Ellvee
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:39 pm 
Newly registered Member

arco_iris wrote:
Since my reply, I had a quick search on youtube for "sealing windows outside".

Several clips are american, though of course the principle is the same; I watched a british one by "The Carpenter's Daughter", which although will give you the idea, I personally didn't much like the way she went about it!

So I'm not going to post any particular link, have a look for yourself, Ellvee, it's not difficult. If nothing else, the vids do point out the gap I referred to.

But the window installer should be doing it for you, should have done it properly in the first place!

Thank you so much.

It's set to be fairly dry tomorrow so I'll get the step ladders out and have a good look. My dad likes to do things himself where feasible and he's worked with sealant before so I'll let him know your views and try and get it sorted once fully dried out (on the basis that there is indeed a gap between the sealant already on the door and the fabric of the property). I just can't see it coming through the bricks in the absence of issues elsewhere on that particular door (the bi-fold also makes a clunking noise sometimes when the wind REALLY gets up which to me suggests there is a gap) but what do I know...

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:10 pm 

You shouldn't need step ladders to just have a look & photograph for us. I reckon you are going to see an open fissure, however small, water will get through.

Dad might be handy (why are you asking this & not him, he could just get on and do it........) but really the installers should be called back to save either of you the bother & expense. Even so, you will have to redecorate the new plaster, they won't do that.

Ellvee wrote:
I just can't see it coming through the bricks

It isn't coming through "the bricks", it is coming through the tiny gap between the bricks of the building and the plastic of the frame. On the outside, these two things are just "next to each other" and the joint needs to be filled, covered over, by the window installer. Have a look.

On the inside, the same joint existed, could/should have been sealed, but then the plasterer covered over the gap as was his job. But plaster is porous, sealant is not, so the damp comes through from the outside and spreads, as you have found.

In an ideal world, the space between the frame & the brickwork ought to be totally sealed but rarely is as it's too difficult; so it only gets done on the outside. The replacement of a window/door in an existing building is not quite the same as the original installation when the house was built, when it was all done at the same time.

Returning to your original post, you won't need special interior emulsion, just let it dry after resolution of issue, then redecorate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:28 pm 

looking at the thickness of the wall, the frames might be set to far forward, if its an older property with a vertical dpc then the frame might be set in front of it.