DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:02 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:32 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

I have a problem with a Volkera Syntesi 25 E boiler, which is showing a 'd1' error and flashing red light immediately after starting up. According to the manual, 'Fault code d1 appears if the condense trap/pipe has become blocked.' I have checked the trap/pipe, and it is clear and draining well.

Is it possible that the condensate path is blocked further up the system which is causing the condensate sensor to trip? If so, is it easy to flush out or is this a job for a professional?

Is it also possible that the sensor is faulty? Generally what is the logic of these sensors? Do they short to earth when they detects that everything is OK, or do they go open circuit? If so, could i simulate this by earthing or disconnecting the terminal on the PCB to see if i could get it to fire up so that I can eliminate there being a fault with the PCB?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Ben

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:42 pm 

Don't know the answer, but don't go shorting stuff out or you could need a new PCB.

Dave will be around later and should have a few ideas.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:25 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks thescruff, I have done a bit more investigating and located the condensate 'sensor'. It's nothing more sophisticated than a screw that goes through a plastic lug in the side of the latent head collector, which is then connected to the PCB, and also to the shell of the collector via a 500k pull-down resistor. I'm guessing it detects excess water in the collector as a result of the current flow from the screw to the metal shell through the water.

I tried 3 things:

1. Connecting the PCB to the 500k pull-down resistor, but not to the sensor itself, simulating the condition where latent heat collector is free of water. Still got the d1 error as before.

2. Disconnecting the cable from the PCB to the sensor entirely, ie an open circuit at the sensor pin. The boiler then fires up, flashes the d1 error for a second, but then the light then goes green and it begins functioning as normal for about 30 seconds, before flashing a d2 error (condensate sensor error - makes sense as it is no longer connected).

3. Replacing the 500k with a 1M pull-down resistor. This time the boiler then fires up, flashes the d1 error for a second, and then goes green and functions perfectly for a lot longer, but returns to a d2 error after a a few minutes.

I therefore think I have eliminated the possibility that there is any kind of blockage, and that the problem must be with the PCB, as it doesnt seem to be interpreting the signals from the sensor correctly. I have checked that it has a good earth, but is there anything else I should check? Otherwise it looks like I will be buying a new PCB...

Ben

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:20 am 

These can block up all the way back to the latent heat collector, solid white powdery stuff.

Had them block in various places from the trap upwards.

Also the latent heat collector fins can get blocked as well.

PITA job usually. I hate these boilers and their different variants.

Should only be carried out by a RGI as the condensate pipe parts are classed as part of the flue.

www.drlgas.co.uk