DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:20 am

Time zone: Europe/London

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:47 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi,
I am at the end of my tether with our Vokera Compact HE. It locks out overnight (not always but there doesn't seem to be a pattern) and the hot water is hot but then goes cold for a while and back to hot. The strange thing is that the hot water does not always do this - sometimes I have a shower and the water stays hot all the way through, but more often than not it goes cold. We've had a new PCB fitted, new CH & DHW NTC sensors, the venturi has been cleaned and the boiler has been re-pressurised. I am on a British Gas Homecare agreement so luckily I haven't had to pay for any of these parts and labour. After the new sensors were fitted we had a blissful few days of no lock out and constant hot water but now it seems to be worse than ever. I am thinking now that a new boiler is the only answer even though this one is only 2 and a half years old. Can someone help?

Kate Hutchinson

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:37 pm 

Need abit more info, when you say every morning it locks out, is this lock out overheat, ignition lock out, or low pressure lock out, I can see were the engineer's where thinking but there are more things to consider and the most important info here is what you can tell us about the things you need to do to reset the boiler, repressurise etc and how you use the system, (what times do you use the heating)

Saying this your paying good money for a service thats not keeping you out of discomfort or from being inconveinianced. If you do sort this problem yourself hope you try and bill them for your labour :-) .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:18 pm 

I think I would whip the plate HE out and clean this as a starting point.

As for the lockout, I would want to check the burner pressures, especially the minimum setting.

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:32 pm 
Newly registered Member

gas4you - Thanks for your help. I will mention this.

gasspark - Basically when I come down on a morning, the red light is on the boiler. The pressure is fine. I have to switch it off at the mains (not sure I am supposed to do this but it's the only thing that gets it going). It then re-ignites, sometimes taking a while, and making some strange noise that sound like a gushing noise. I've noticed that the gushing noise happens quite a bit during the day when the boiler is on. The light goes from red to flashing orange for about 5-10 minutes. At this point there is heating but no hot water. When the green light comes on the hot water then works. It didn't lock out last night, but it locked out the night before. I just can't see the pattern - I'm wondering if it is the cold but it hasn't been that cold overnight recently. I hope this helps, not sure about the correct terms for things! The heating is on and off all day as I have a wireless thermostat but it it set to go off at around 11pm and set to come on at around 6am. It's during this time that it has been locking out. As for the intermittent hot water - I have run the hot water and stood next to the boiler to see what it does when the water goes cold. It seems that the boiler takes ages to re-ignite and in that time the water is going cold until it re-ignites and then runs hot again.

Thanks again.

Kate Hutchinson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:26 pm 

Well according to the instructions a yellow flashing led is indicating the boiler is in co mode for setting the max burner pressure. This in itself seems as useful as a chocolate fireguard ::b

Gushing noises could be air or lack of water. In that case I wonder if the pressure gauge is reading correctly :?

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:20 am 
Gas/Heating Expert

Assuming this boiler is no advance on the previous non condensing model hat all of about FIVE different causes can give the same lockout indication.

That design makes it very difficult to trace the fault, particularly in a short time!

BG staff are under time constraints and often just replace a part to see what effect that has.

Very unfortunately they often choose to replace some part rather than spend the same time to check and monitor the boiler operation.

The very intermittent nature of the fault means that its unlikely to reoccur during the typical 10 min that an engineer has to watch the operation.

Its pretty irrelevant what the cause is but all you have to do is politely pester BG to get it sorted out. They do have a procedure where they call a manufacturer's engineer. They have in depth one boiler experience and usually manage to fing the fault quickly compared with BG who have to deal with every boiler on the market.

Tony

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:57 am 

Gushing sound, happens of a morning when boiler fires from cold, intermitant hot water, most points to when the boiler produces the most condonsate water, I would check the pipework for the condensate for raising instead of lowering to the waste outlet also for a partial blockage, this would cause a lockout of a morning as the boiler produces a lot of condensate when firing from cold, not sure about the hot water as yet, (someone probaby scruff will check if there is a time constrain between the boiler locking out to the fault clearing), if there is that would expain why the boiler is taking so lot to refire on hot water demand.

John

For this message the author gasspark has received gratitude : Katehutch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:24 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks everyone. This gives me something to be going on with...... :-)

Kate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 am 

I'm not quite sure what Gasspark said to be honest. :scratch:

Water running sounds in the boiler is air.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]