Newbie: Damp penetrating from outside water leakage?

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

macaodh
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by macaodh »

Hello all,

I am hoping to get some advice on what to do with this problem which has recently emerged. Damp has started to show in both our upstairs bedroom and downstairs downstairs utility:
BedroomDamp.jpg
BedroomDamp.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Both problem areas are at the back of the house and in the same section. I have tried to identify the source of the problem. Judging from a distance i.e. standing in our rear yard, the wall just left of the rear chimney breast appears to be discoloured while there also seems to be moss growing at the connection of the breast and this section of wall. Please see the images as a guide:
WallOutsideDamp1.png
WallOutsideDamp1.png (700.46 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
WallOutsideDamp2.png
WallOutsideDamp2.png (572.9 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
The chimney breast is not in use. I have also noted the air vent on the breast seems to have been blocked purposively for some reason. I am wondering what I can do to resolve this. Could I do so myself? If so, any suggestions as to how and what tools I would need? If a professional is required any suggestions please - which tradesman do I contact?

Thanks,
Joey.
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

I would first check the guttering where the stack is and see if it is blocked up with moss or leaves etc, this would cause the gutter to over flow when it’s raining and because it has nowhere to go it will flow down the wall. Also I would have a look at the mortar in the corner of the stack to see if it’s loose or missing as this would allow ingress of water.
Chimneys should always have some kind of vent fitted in the stack if not being used because once water gets in , it has nowhere to go causing damp.
You could open up a chimney where a fireplace used to be and fit a chimney sheep type device to stop debris coming down the chimney but allowing free flow of air.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... ELxE6yhYv-

Mike
These users thanked the author London mike 61 for the post:
macaodh (Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:25 am)
Rating: 7.14%
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
macaodh
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by macaodh »

Thanks Mike for your reply. I'll check for blockages etc. before investigating sticking a sheep in the breast. Now how to figure out how I get up there!
etaf

Post by etaf »

have a look when its raining and see if water is going down the wall from the gutter, often quite visible
Simple DIYer
Wayne

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”