"I never realised...."

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

Grendel

"I never realised...."

Post by Grendel »

My daughter is 14 and is fully cognitive that to get money working for it is a route to go down. As a result she has done ironing and the like and last week tried cutting my hair. He had also expressed a desire to try her hand at decorating. I'd started the kitchen but " hadn't got round to finishing it" and she said she'd do it. To be fair to her the results of painting the two walls weren't too bad , the cutting in was decent and not a great deal of mess and she cleaned the brushes and roller .However, i think she's decided that decorating isn't going to be her chosen profession . Afterwards she said to me " i never realised just how boring painting is , i couldn't see me doing that day after day" . I must have a higher threshold for boredom , i don't find it that boring , a bit repetitive and there's probably better things to do perhaps but not that bad surely.
Anybody find their job boring?
Someone-Else

"I never realised...."

Post by Someone-Else »

Me, I have to put labels on apples, but i have what looks like a "price gun" to do it.
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
Grendel (Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:30 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
dewaltdisney

"I never realised...."

Post by dewaltdisney »

I think the young confuse boredom with impatience. Any job that is slow and methodical does not fit in with the high speed activity that youngsters are brainwashed into with social media and the like. I think the older you are you may well have done lots of things that require patience and perseverance. It allows you to zone out of a slow and repetitive task that you know needs doing but will not be rewarding or satisfying when complete. Work is dull and that is why you are paid to do it. It is either a job that someone cannot do through a lack of skill or they simply cannot face doing themselves but have the money to pay.

Welcome to the world of work

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Grendel (Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:26 pm)
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

"I never realised...."

Post by Job and Knock »

Grendel wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:14 pmAnybody find their job boring?
I sometimes find my job repetitive, but not often that boring because when I'm doing that sort of stuff I tend to be thinking about how I can make the task more efficient, or faster (or both). The one-off tasks I often find interesting because they generally require a bit more thought. Oddly enough on many projects those sort of oddball (awkward) tasks tend to gravitate towards me - but at least that means I'm left alone to "do my own thing". I find wall painting to be quite soothing - like a sort of chewing gum for the mind - because I can partly switch off and consider other things whilst I'm rollering the emulsion on.
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Grendel

"I never realised...."

Post by Grendel »

DWD you are probably onto something there. She spent about two and a half hours on the work so at least she didn't lose concentration straight away . Still she's a teenager at the end of the day.
I know what you mean as well j&k . Most of my work has been varied and i suppose with the added variety of even if it's the same job it was often in. a different location. Funnily enough i tended to have awkward jobs pushed towards me . I was sent to one job for the site agent to tell me that they had a really awkward job so he'd asked for me. I suppose it was a comp!iment .
Rorschach

"I never realised...."

Post by Rorschach »

I wouldn't say painting is boring, especially if you have someone to chat with or the radio on, however I wouldn't call it interesting or exciting either. I much prefer jobs that involve some problem solving.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
Grendel (Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:12 pm)
dewaltdisney

"I never realised...."

Post by dewaltdisney »

How do kids learn patience. I think building Airfix kits as a boy helped me, I would spend hours happily making up the kits. Probably today it is playing video games that teaches patience. You have to go back and start again when 'killed' and it takes a form of perseverance I guess. I think decorating is not particularly rewarding, unless you are refurbing, as if you are only freshening of brightening a room there is not a lot of perceived gain. Possibly if you are going over the awful burgundy and terracotta paint with something lighter , that would be a stark difference and a gain.

DWD
wine~o

"I never realised...."

Post by wine~o »

Seems to me that a lot of young 'uns can't concentrate on anything for more than 15 minutes, I blame the BBC and teletubbies and the like...
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Dave54

"I never realised...."

Post by Dave54 »

I've found that as I've got older I find it hard to concentrate for long on anyt
These users thanked the author Dave54 for the post (total 4):
Grendel (Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:25 pm) • OchAye (Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:45 am) • Job and Knock (Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:10 pm) • Tom d'Angler (Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:24 am)
Rating: 28.57%
Grendel

"I never realised...."

Post by Grendel »

Rorschach wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:14 am I wouldn't say painting is boring, especially if you have someone to chat with or the radio on, however I wouldn't call it interesting or exciting either. I much prefer jobs that involve some problem solving.
She says that she soon picked up on the idea of having music on and only stopped a couple of times for a quick dance. To be honest she has persurvered with the dancing since a early age and is pretty decent at it. I find it's possible to actually listen to the radio rather than it just being background noise and the lack of noise means it's possible to listen to the spoken word such as a play.
I'd agree decorating can't be described as exciting but i think at times it can be interesting. For many years i worked with a decorator who had a number of nicknames one of which was mr perfect and i'd say at least some of the work was interesting. Not walloping out a room but he could grain , gold leaf , mix paint and make a piece of ply look like a two hundred year old weathered stone and pretty much anything else in that line.. When my daughter was about five i painted a princess on her bedroom wall and when mr perfect complimented how i had done the folds of the dress i felt well chuffed.
These users thanked the author Grendel for the post:
Job and Knock (Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:11 pm)
Bob225

"I never realised...."

Post by Bob225 »

I would rather watch paint dry than have to watch/listen to football/snooker/golf, P&D take a certain mindset, But you get to a point in life when its easier to get some t!t in a van around :wink:

Grendal your daughter will no doubt perfect her painting technique even if its just the war paint and nails

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”