New Turf Care.. Advice needed.

Please post all of your gardening questions in here and one of our green fingered members will try and help.

Moderator: Moderators

Sean2012
Newly registered Member

Post by Sean2012 »

Hi all,

Had my garden returfed about 2.5 weeks ago. Had been watering it twice a day for the first 2 weeks, being the third week I am now watering it every alternate day. The grass has grown well about 10-12cm. I have a few questions if someone can help me out.

1) The grass now seems well rooted do I now still water it for the same amount of time as i was doing in the first two weeks?

2) I should be about to mow for the first time in the next few days, but was just wondering if i need to rake the lawn first to straighten the grass as where i have walked over the lawn the grass seems to lay flat (see photo).

3) Is it ok to mow when the grass is wet or should i let it dry first?

4) Do i need to water the lawn soon after it has been mowed?

5) I understand that the mower needs to be set at the highest, do i mow ever other day to get it to the required grass lenght?

Any advice will be much appreciated.
Attachments
Circles show where grass has laid flat due to walking.
Circles show where grass has laid flat due to walking.
20190813_083106 (2)_LI.jpg (537.91 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
yartin

Post by yartin »

Unless it's central court Wimbledon, lawn requires minimum care. They say lawn will need watering if they are used to so best not water.
I doubt new lawn requires raking so soon.
Not sure why highest setting when mowed, I would use middle and defo not the lowest.
I am no expert so wait for more replies.
Sean2012
Newly registered Member

Post by Sean2012 »

yartin wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:51 am Unless it's central court Wimbledon, lawn requires minimum care. They say lawn will need watering if they are used to so best not water.
I doubt new lawn requires raking so soon.
Not sure why highest setting when mowed, I would use middle and defo not the lowest.
I am no expert so wait for more replies.
Been told by the landscaper and even read it on different site that new turf require a lot of water to get the roots bedded (atleast twice a day in the first 2 weeks and every other day in week 3 and 4).
Dead Leaves from near by trees have fallen onto the lawn and then if a big patch is flat, don't want the mower to grab the whole patch and make it bald from there, hence I asked if its a good idea to rake it first.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

No harm in raking it first.

Never cut the grass when its wet.
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
Sean2012 (Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:07 am)
Rating: 7.14%
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)

Return to “Gardeners World”