Help! Circular Saw blades

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Croker

Post by Croker »

I need a new circular saw blade as my current one that came with the saw is blunt.

Spent the last hour or so researching (including on here) and as usual am now more confused than when I started!!… kerf, number of teeth, type of cuts etc etc…

I need a 165mm diameter blade with a bore of 16mm (or 20mm with a 16mm reduction ring).

Purpose is to trim the bottom off several internal doors plus various other general woodworking projects.

There's a Saxton blade on ebay, 48 teeth and £10.99. Are these any good or should I be looking at something more expensive / longer lasting?

Saw is a Worx Exactrack cordless, and the existing blade has 24 teeth. Been happy enough with the results I've had from it so far but am wondering if I should get something with more teeth for a better finish? Or am I barking up the wrong tree there?

Any advice / recommendations that you can give to point me in the right direction will be much appreciated.

Cheers! :salute:
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

All of the Saxton products that I've tried have been good value for money, (but I've not tried their circular saw blades).

For a cordless saw you need a fine kerf, the kerf is the thickness of the blade basically, a thicker kerf uses more power.

48 teeth is relatively fine for a 165mm blade but perfectly serviceable, better at cross cutting than down the grain which is what the bottoms of most doors will be.
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post:
Croker (Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:46 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
One day it will all be firewood.
Croker

Post by Croker »

Thanks ayjay :thumbright: I'll probably just bite the bullet and try a Saxton blade.

In terms of the number of teeth, this is still the bit I'm trying to get my head around...

On further research it seems that most circular saws are supplied with a 24 tooth blade. This must be a sort of universal 'do-it-all' standard I guess?

I might try out a couple of blades with different teeth count; perhaps a 24T, 36T and 48T and see what sort of results I get.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

This blade received good reviews from Peter Millard on YouTube. It's only a tenner from Screwfix so ne need to wait or pay for delivery.

No 16mm reducer though

https://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-tct-p ... _container
These users thanked the author Argyll for the post:
Croker (Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:46 pm)
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Croker wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:08 pm

On further research it seems that most circular saws are supplied with a 24 tooth blade. This must be a sort of universal 'do-it-all' standard I guess?
It depends on the diameter of the blade, 24 teeth on a 165mm blade is roughly the same as 48 teeth on a 300mm blade.

I've got a 190 mm blade with 96 teeth - it's fairly useless for anything except cutting laminate worktops, but it makes a good job of that.
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post:
Croker (Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:47 pm)
One day it will all be firewood.
Croker

Post by Croker »

Argyll
Thanks for posting, that Triton blade looks interesting.
However, this has now started me off looking at plunge saws, another tool I never knew I needed until now so cheers for that £££!!! ::b :lol:
Serious question... (probably a stupid question but here goes anyway)... is it ok to use a blade designed for a plunge saw in a circular saw?
In any case I think I'll search on ebay for a 16mm reducer ring to open up my choices.

ayjay
Yes that makes sense, hadn't thought of it like that but so obvious now.

Anyway I'm starting to get my head around it all now so many thanks for your replies :cheers:
Croker

Post by Croker »

Just a quick update... in the end I went down to Screwfix and bought myself a 24 tooth Freud blade as they seem to be generally well regarded.

Pleased with it when trimming a few doors (both hollow and solid wood, 2 of each); but was very impressed when trimming a few cm out of the height of some chipboard kitchen plinths with a white foil covering. Cutting from the back resulted in a few tiny chips in the white foil (on the back) but a beautiful straight and chip-free cut on the front side.

Only time will tell as regards longevity but happy so far... will probably invest in a 48 tooth one as well and experiment with it.

PS bought a few 16mm reducer rings for a couple of quid off ebay :thumbleft:

Return to “Tool Talk”