Dumb DIY novice question - fixing to plasterboard

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

nt1984
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dumb DIY novice question - fixing to plasterboard

Post by nt1984 »

Hello! So, I am completely new to any form of DIY, and I've just bought a house with my partner but it turns out he's even more clueless than me :lol:

We have lots of things that need to go on the walls, and I want to learn how to do it because it seems ridiculous to pay someone to do something so (apparently?) simple.

My first task is to hang a bar/rack of 5 coat hooks (all on one structure, 60cm wide). I am assuming a plasterboard wall as it sounds hollow, and I think I can detect some studs from knocking on it. I was planning to use the neodymium (?) magnet method to find the studs. However, I read that the studs should be 60cm apart? The mounts for the fixings on this particular piece are 35cm apart - does that mean I can't fix it to the wall? Does it depend on the weight (which will obviously vary depending on what we hang on it!)? Which would be the best fixings to get?

I am so sorry for the stupid questions, but I really want to learn! This will teach me for choosing a useless boyfriend, haha...

Really appreciate any help :help:

Naomi
dewaltdisney

Re: Dumb DIY novice question - fixing to plasterboard

Post by dewaltdisney »

You really have to ascertain the wall structure as this will decide the choice of fixings you use. In a new house it is possible that some walls are dry-lined which is where the plasterboard is dot and dab fitted to a constructional wall as a cover. Next is stud walls which are normal for room partitions. However, you do also find in modern houses a sandwich like partition wall made of two sheets of plasterboard with an egg box type centre. It is very hard to detect which is which and the fixings you use can be different to suit the wall. Is there anyone to check with who might know, is there still builders on site or could you telephone to ask?

DWD
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

Assuming you can locate the studs using the magnets and assuming that the wall studs are wood, you could make your own coat rack up to the exact size you want and put the screw holes so they line up with the studs.
To make the coat rack, buy a piece of planed square edge board ( wickes etc ) 19mm thick x 100mm wide, cut to length and paint, add hooks of your choice and drill holes for screws in the wood so that you can screw it into the wooden upright studs.
If you live in a new property, the studs will probably be metal and they have a channel in them to accommodate wires or pipes and may not be so easy to fix to without damaging a wire or pipe in the process.

Mike
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
fin

Post by fin »

for fixing stuff to plasterboard walls these things are mint
https://www.toolstation.com/gripit-plas ... str=gripit

i use them fairly regularly. ive hung anything from tv's to coat rack's to kitchen cabinets on these
fin

Post by fin »

ohh and obv that kit i linked has a variety of different sizes so they carry different weights. all ya need is a cordless drill and the right sized flat bit to go with them
aeromech3

Post by aeromech3 »

Fin, any idea if they will work in ply?
fin

Post by fin »

yea aslong as there is a bit of clearence behind itll be fine. actually fixed a tv in the pub i go to anto what ended up being a plywood partition. i assumed it was plasterboard but it was 2 sheets of what seemed to be 1/8th ply.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

I'm just trying to figure out why, if you have ply, a very good patress material which will allow screwing directly iinto it, you'd ever need to use a Gripit. Not keen on them myself. The demo on Dragon's den where the inventor fixed a radiator to a wall using Gripits which promptly fell of didn't instill much confidence in me, either
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
nt1984
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by nt1984 »

Thanks for the responses. I am really not very confident in determining what the wall structure is, so I will try to get the builders next door to pop in and have a look! A few other people have recommended the Gripit fixings as well, so I will check those out.

Cheers,
Naomi
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Gripits aren't bad to be fair in the right circumstances. I've used them a couple of times. If you're wall is double boarded you'll need this tool:

https://www.gripitfixings.co.uk/collect ... tting-tool

I had to buy one last month.

If you have a Home Bargains near you they sell Gripits cheap as chips.

In your situation I would attach a second piece of longer dressed wood to the coat rack and fix to both studs either side. Coat racks take a lot of abuse and I suspect gripits would look good at first but through time I think they'd fail.
aeromech3

Post by aeromech3 »

Job and Knock wrote:I'm just trying to figure out why, if you have ply,
Hi, just some thin ply boarding in a concrete garage that I wanted to attach to.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

aeromech3 wrote:
Job and Knock wrote:I'm just trying to figure out why, if you have ply,
Hi, just some thin ply boarding in a concrete garage that I wanted to attach to.
Assuming that it has enough screws to fix the plywood to the walls of the garage and that it's at least 1/4in (6mm) thick, then just screw to it. If you need to carry a lot of weight it's probably worth gluing and pinning a patress (plywood, MDF, chipboard, blockboard, 2 x 1 softwood, etc) onto it just to spread the load over a bigger area
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
fin

Post by fin »

j&k when i put the tv up in the pub the wall was of unknown construction. i could see tiles through the hole i drilled. the ply was only 1/8th so i didnt wanna risk the screws pulling out and the tv falling off the wall. that would be an even bigger disaster than newcastle getting beat.

plus with it being a pub that was last propperly done out probably some time in the 70's or maybe early 80's i didnt want to run the risk of disturbing anything dodgy like asbestos that may have been hidden.

those grip its are actually pretty decent. ive had one or 2 not work propperly but ive still used a canny few and they do help out on occasions. if i was building the stud work myself id cover myself for thigs like hanging radiators or whatever so id not need them.

Return to “General DIY forum”