Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

scott3387
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Boxing in end of bath

Post by scott3387 »

Hello, sorry if this forum doesn't like basic questions but this will probably sound like DIY 101 to any experts here.

I had to tear out the previous boxing to get a plumber to fix a new cold water pipe and now I need to box it back in again. I've googled the problem and it seems like it's fairly easy to do with a few bits of baton and plyboard/plasterboard. I attach an image to show the problem (the plasterboard is just there to show the extend of the boxing required.

Obviously the ply is going on the front and top. The top will be tiled and the side will be tongue and grove paneling (salvaged from previous boxing). The aim is that, if possible, I would like to keep the rest of the existing tile work above the boxing. So the top of the ply plus a layer of plain white tiles will be butting up to the existing tile work.

Right dumb questions time. Where best to fix the batons for maximum stability (I assume 1x2 pine is sufficient?)? What thickness of ply should I use to support tiling without it buckling in 12 months time and breaking the seal? When I see people boxing in pipes the third baton appears to be floating and just used to support the join between the two plyboard panels. Will this arrangement of three batons be enough to support a board + tiles on top? That doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks
Attachments
example.jpg
example.jpg (505.78 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
ayjay

Re: Boxing in end of bath

Post by ayjay »

I would usually build a frame from 2 X 2 timber, nothing would be floating, it's all connected (screwed) at all joints and to the short return frame on the end. Then cover that in a cement based board such as Hardiebacker.
One day it will all be firewood.

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”