That worked

Vehicle maintenance and repair questions in here please for all questions relating to Cars, Vans etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ayjay

That worked

Post by ayjay »

My wipers have been making a horrible noise just recently, nothing serious, just rubber on glass.

I thought it best to just replace them as I've usually done that every autumn in the past, but for some reason that just hasn't happened with this van so the wipers are the originals from 2015.

Taking a good look at them, it was obvious that I wouldn't be able to just buy a pair of inserts and fit those.

I then discovered that I couldn't even get the damn things off to renew the whole wiper, (although I think I know how to do that now).

So I googled, *wipers scraping on windscreen* and it suggested cleaning the rubbers with Isopropyl Alcohol. I've got some of that, but I already had a pack of wet-wipes in the back of the van so I used those instead, two or three on each blade, it must have taken all of three minutes - it worked - no scraping at all now. :-)

I'll get Mercedes to change them on the next service/mot which is due in June.
One day it will all be firewood.
Rorschach

Re: That worked

Post by Rorschach »

A bit of silicone oil will help rejuvenate them if they are old too. Put some on a cloth, rub it in well and then let them sit. Ideally do this in the evening after work. Next morning go out and wipe away any excess with a wet wipe so you don't get a greasy window.
Works a treat.

While you are at it, do the rubber door seals as well.
Cannyfixit

Post by Cannyfixit »

Funny I noticed my Transit wipers doing this last night,it was driving me mad
I’ll try it and report back the next time it rains
If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719
gc1967

Post by gc1967 »

ayjay wrote:My wipers have been making a horrible noise just recently, nothing serious, just rubber on glass.

I thought it best to just replace them as I've usually done that every autumn in the past, but for some reason that just hasn't happened with this van so the wipers are the originals from 2015.

Taking a good look at them, it was obvious that I wouldn't be able to just buy a pair of inserts and fit those.

I then discovered that I couldn't even get the damn things off to renew the whole wiper, (although I think I know how to do that now).

So I googled, *wipers scraping on windscreen* and it suggested cleaning the rubbers with Isopropyl Alcohol. I've got some of that, but I already had a pack of wet-wipes in the back of the van so I used those instead, two or three on each blade, it must have taken all of three minutes - it worked - no scraping at all now. :-)

Many thanks for sharing this my van wipers are doing this :-)
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

ayjay wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: "That'll be £80 plus VAT, Sir." :shock: :shock:
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

wine~o wrote:
ayjay wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: "That'll be £80 plus VAT, Sir." :shock: :shock:
I get 30 years free roadside assistance, if you go elsewhere for repairs or a service, you lose that until it goes back to Mercedes again, it's less hassle to fall in with that, and they're not as bad as you might think. I'm not sure if that's cos it's commercial, but I've not had any nasty shocks yet with the services/mot's, and they've even done the odd favour/freebie when asked.

A friend of mine bought an old Merc saloon some time back, something like a W124, his son-in-law was an ex Merc mechanic and checked it out for him prior to purchase, but didn't live close enough to service it. He was always surprised if the service was less than four figures, but reckoned it was never below £800. :shock:
One day it will all be firewood.

Return to “Vehicle maintenance & Repair”