Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

gsusamc
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

In built wardrobe project tips please

Post by gsusamc »

57384407_10158346659579377_5597548078497267712_o.jpg
57384407_10158346659579377_5597548078497267712_o.jpg (55.7 KiB) Viewed 2030 times
Hello there

I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion.
I want to build my wardrobe for the attic room I just converted. I have drawn the plan to scale and done the measurements but I am not very sure what is the best way to start.

I am a complete beginner. I have been reading, researching, watching videos and I have a couple of ideas as to how I could do it but I am not sure which one will be the best, the easiest for me but also the most stable and durable.

I insert the picture of the plan here. I would appreciate any advise as to how you would start it, what are the pieces you would assemble first or if you would assemble boxes and then fit them. Any tips really would be helpful and appreciated.

It doesn't let me attach a picture so for you to see it you have to copy and paste the following link in your browser. Hope it works!

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5D33EE1B

:roll:
ayjay

Re: In built wardrobe project tips please

Post by ayjay »

It's going to be a problem opening those bottom drawers with no plinth.
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post:
gsusamc
Rating: 7.14%
One day it will all be firewood.
gsusamc
Newly registered Member

Post by gsusamc »

Sorry the drawing is not accurate but there will be plinth, of course. Thanks for the comment tho :-)
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I would start with a sub frame and build modular units to make up your design so they slide in to place for final fixing. It helps you phase the work more easily too.

If you are not too experienced then you will find making drawer boxes difficult. You could look for a short cut here using these https://unico.uk.com/drawer-runners-doo ... awer-slide. Again making it modular will help splitting into four or so drawer housings. If you go for MDF then it is a pain to paint insitu so get as many coats on while flat and unassembled. Do not underestimate, this is a big job with lots of material. by doing it in stages you have room to work. That Unico site has a few bits and bobs like rails and fittings that might help too. :thumbright:

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
gsusamc
Rating: 7.14%
gsusamc
Newly registered Member

Post by gsusamc »

DWD Thank you so much. I was thinking on the same lines, it is helpful to hear it from someone else so I know I am in the right direction.
I thought the drawers were the least of my problems but I am sure your suggestion will come handy. Thank you so much for taking the time. It is very much appreciated :-)

Sandra

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”