Buried armour cable options

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

paul8685
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Buried armour cable options

Post by paul8685 »

Ex Electrician here, My son requires garden socket which I have been challenged with . My initial plan was to run a 3 core 1.5 Armour cable 25 metre length, spured off a ring main socket in garage to a weather proof 13 amp socket . I'm having second thoughts should I choose a 3 core 2.5 Armour cable running to a RCD 13 amp socket. First choice based on cost and easier managablity of lighter cable . Power only for lighting and lawnmower. Help would be welcome . Thanks Paul
Someone-Else

Re: Buried armour cable options

Post by Someone-Else »

As an ex-electrician you should know the answer
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

RCD protection is a must.
You can only use 1.5mm cable it is fed from a 13A fused spur.
The cost difference between 1.5mm and 2.5mm cable is very little.
If the ring has no RCD protection I would install an RCD fused spur in the garage instead of using a RCD socket. It's better to keep the RCD warm and dry.
If the ring already has RCD protection then there is no point in using two RCDs.
These users thanked the author OnlyMe for the post:
paul8685
Rating: 7.14%
paul8685
Newly registered Member

Post by paul8685 »

Great Thanks for the informative advice .I have been away from the trade for over 30 years never really kept up with the iee regs. I was just going to use a plug in RDC anyway
I recall ELCB, and RCD's giving no end of grief. Things have moved on for the better !
Paul
paul8685
Newly registered Member

Post by paul8685 »

Thanks for the constructive advice !
ericmark

Post by ericmark »

Prices can mean you don't follow the logical approach of a RCD FCU which would likely work with 2.5 mm with no problem, but to get SWA into a plug is a problem some where some how you need to fix the gland so it is down to logistics more than simple what is required. So a metal socket box with lid or conduit box with hole drilled in it, and often the inner of the SWA only through house wall with an earth wire to earth the gland.

In my garage I have brought the whole SWA cable in and gland to a FCU as already RCD feeding all circuits. On sons it was a flex into conduit box on wall and SWA from there and box filled with petroleum jelly and flex into a RCD plug.

I like the idea with any outdoor socket to be able to switch it off with double pole switch so if anything goes wrong it will not trip whole ring.

Return to “Electric Forum UK”