New Colour On Fence

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

dgulliver
Newly registered Member

New Colour On Fence

Post by dgulliver »

Hi,

About 3 years ago I painted my fence using Ronseal Dark Oak. But I want to change to a grey colour (Ronseal). Should I under coat first? Also over time the boards have turned green in places, is there something I should do before applying the grey fence paint? My fence is feather boards if that’s makes any difference.

Thanks
Darren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wine~o

Re: New Colour On Fence

Post by wine~o »

Painted or stained ? world of difference, in the meantime Gardeners world isn't the best place for this question, probably more a painting and decorating question... I'll see if I can get it moved.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
dgulliver
Newly registered Member

Post by dgulliver »

wine~o wrote:Painted or stained ? world of difference, in the meantime Gardeners world isn't the best place for this question, probably more a painting and decorating question... I'll see if I can get it moved.
I used Ronseal fence life, feels like paint rather than stain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Our fence goes green in some places, rightly or wrongly I use a pressure washer to see what I can get off, then paint over the whole thing. I am doing it again tomorrow.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

dgulliver wrote:About 3 years ago I painted my fence using Ronseal Dark Oak. But I want to change to a grey colour (Ronseal). Should I under coat first? Also over time the boards have turned green in places, is there something I should do before applying the grey fence paint? My fence is feather boards if that’s makes any difference.
What you got for your fence is a stain/something with high pigmentation. I know, I was using Ducksback forest green or something [same group as your Ronseal ... i.e. Akzo nobel] for my neighbour's side of the fence this last summer, and translucent preservative on my side. Mine will look right and be preserved, hers won't but she will not know as she died 3 months after I finished :-(

This seems to be what you have now https://www.ronseal.com/for-garden/shed ... ence-life/ and anything that says one coat for fences is a thick layer of some or another piece of ****, that will do what it says until it flakes or fades off. There is no undercoat for it (or rather over it). If you want grey, get the right colour and get painting over your existing colour. At worse you might need two or more coats to achieve the desired opacity.

Easy enough to do and I am sorry if my answer is not pleasant enough.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Ooops, I forgot. You must clean the green stuff. Stiff brush and household detergents e.g. washing powder, or this https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/pr ... en-cleaner which I found to be very good but does not go very far. Apply it thickly, leave for a few minutes and get brushing. Whatever you use you must rinse well afterwards..
54aardvark

Post by 54aardvark »

Just cleaned my fence with this stuff https://algonorganics.co.uk/algon-2-5-litres

Slosh it on and within 3 days all the algae has gone. Pet & veg friendly, saves a load of time scrubbing etc - very impressed
There are no problems - only solutions
dgulliver
Newly registered Member

Post by dgulliver »

Thanks all for suggestions, in the end I used my power washer took the old paint off and the green stuff too.

Sorry for not thanking you all sooner, after the Easter bank holiday I became unwell nothing serious and forgot I posted here.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”