All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

C9821
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Planning Permission

Post by C9821 »

Hello, I’m looking in to converting my detached garage to enable me to work from home. I will need to replace the garage doors to a single door, but no other work will be done to the exterior. From what I can find online, I do not need planning permission to do this. But wanted to ask for some advice on here.

Thanks.
Argyll

Re: Planning Permission

Post by Argyll »

I'm in Scotland so our planning conditions may differ. You may need permission to move to business use. From the top of my head it's class 3 or 4.

if I were you I would visit your local council office and ask to speak to the duty planning officer to check.
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

If it's a home office, then I don't think it needs a change of use.

However, you will need a building warrant if you intend to change the doors and will also need to comply with regulations such as U-values etc as it will be classed as a living space.

These conversions are pretty common so start with a call to the council.

ah
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

also sometimes you get conditions like
you cant convert unless you have sufficient parking spaces
or you cannot alter the front appearance as in must still look like a garage
we are all ------------------still learning
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

big-all wrote:or you cannot alter the front appearance as in must still look like a garage
I know someone who had his conversion pass based on the garage doors remaining and then had it changed to a door and window. All was good until a neighbor complained to the council :angryfire:

This doesn't help the OP ... but I do wonder if you kept the garage door and then set-back a wall with door and window if you could get away with it!

ah
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

I have seen quite a few "garages" that are anything but. From the outside they look just like a garage................
I guess they were changed without telling anyone, and so the big up and over door is still there.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

someone-else wrote:I have seen quite a few "garages" that are anything but. From the outside they look just like a garage................
I guess they were changed without telling anyone, and so the big up and over door is still there.
its often a requirement to keep the appearance off uniformity from the front in the same way as restricting loft extensions visual impact to the front
we are all ------------------still learning
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Replace the garage door with one that has a door within the door, like big old barn doors or warehouse doors do. Insulate and air seal behind it. No-one will be any the wiser.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Rorschach wrote:Replace the garage door with one that has a door within the door, like big old barn doors or warehouse doors do. Insulate and air seal behind it. No-one will be any the wiser.
They will, because the door has changed, no one changes things just to spend / waste money. Leave the door as it is, and use the back door. If no back door, install one.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Why not get it officially approved? As long as you have parking available planners tend to approve home offices as the trend for working at home in the current thing. By getting it approved it means you have no encumbrance when you come to sell. Retrospective lawful development certificates are a difficult pathway. Just have a chat with your local planners and get an idea of requirements as Argyll said.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
wine~o
Rating: 7.14%
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

As per DWD's post, at the minimum give your local planning dept. a call.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

If you are using it as an office say if you're working from home then you can get some tax beaks (I think). But if it's not properly approved you may not be eligible for any.

My ex in London had an extension put on her home for an office to work from home and I'm pretty sure she got some sort of allowance both towards the cost of her extension and her utility bills etc.
etaf

Post by etaf »

In the past late 1990's, (this may have changed) if you received payment / tax breaks for using a room in the house as an office , then when you sold the property, a proportion of the house was treated differently and i think capital gains applied. I cant remember the exact details, but i know before I officially worked at home the company paid for the space as well as cost of heating etc, and staff had a tax issue, so before I was officially working from home , the allowance paid and how it was paid was changed.
Just worth looking into before receiving payment (lived in England)
Simple DIYer
Wayne
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Actually that is a good point about Capital Gains Tax if it is not part of a residence then the CGT exemption cannot be claimed and you could be caught for up to 20% of any uplift in value from when you bought. However, if it is just home office space and no evidence that you run a business you should be okay. I would say it is a games room/home gym to any officials.

DWD
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Great point about CGT. I agree with DW I'd say it was for something else. Just don't tell the neighbours :wink:

Return to “Building Forum”