Fitting new stair case material spec and advice please!

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

strath44

Fitting new stair case material spec and advice please!

Post by strath44 »

Hi Folks,

I am currently specifying up stairs to be put in up to our loft.

They include a 4 turn winder which I know isn't ideal but it is the only way we can make the stairs total going work to clear the correct headroom once on the landing.

Our architect has put in his drawings that the large center null post be attached below downstairs floor level to a floor joist, I don't have an issue with this and don't see it being a big problem to fit but a few people I have spoken to in the trade claim to have never seen this done before or suggested it was unusual?

I am having 28mm pine stringers, 22mm pine treads and 9mm risers, is that ok? I have been offered mdf treads and risers but though pine would be better!

I am getting the stairs from TK Stairs unless anyone can suggest anyone better or indeed cheaper!

I've not got any stairs experience so any feedback appreciated!
Attachments
stairs 2.jpg
stairs 2.jpg (87.19 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
ayjay

Re: Fitting new stair case material spec and advice please!

Post by ayjay »

strath44 wrote:Hi Folks,

Our architect has put in his drawings that the large center null post be attached below downstairs floor level to a floor joist, I don't have an issue with this and don't see it being a big problem to fit but a few people I have spoken to in the trade claim to have never seen this done before or suggested it was unusual?
Your architect is trying to avoid a newel post just sitting on floorboards - which is commendable of him. His way is undoubtedly *best practice*.

In real life, so long as the newel sits on a joist or a noggin between joists it's as good, but that probably means lifting the floor anyway to ascertain the joist position/install a noggin - so it might as well be installed as directed.

I'd always try and avoid mdf treads, they are prone to splitting where the riser is installed if any undue force is used, just one too many taps up with a hammer can do it.
One day it will all be firewood.
strath44

Post by strath44 »

thanks I appreciate the reply!

I'm going to lift some of the floor anyway as I want to reinforce the 2 joists running directly under the floor as much as possible, I hope to maybe build a bit of a dwarf wall up to further support them at 2 points along their length.

I hate having creaky stairs and as we have 2 young children although this stair only services a bathroom and bedroom it will receive reasonable traffic so want to ensure it is as solid as possible!
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

strath44 wrote:Our architect has put in his drawings that the large center null post be attached below downstairs floor level to a floor joist, I don't have an issue with this and don't see it being a big problem to fit but a few people I have spoken to in the trade claim to have never seen this done before or suggested it was unusual?
I have seen it done, but it's more normal for them to spec additional trimmers or a doubled-up joist with solid strutting to prevent twisting so that there is some form of support immediately beneath the newel
strath44 wrote:I am having 28mm pine stringers, 22mm pine treads and 9mm risers, is that ok? I have been offered mdf treads and risers but though pine would be better!
Well, it's quite thin, I'd say - about the minimum you can get away with. 9mm will be plywood risers in all probability. Pine is infinitely better than MDF for treads but I doubt that it makes for as much difference on the risers unless it may be getting damp
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”