Smart Light Switch Wiring Problem...

All electrical lighting questions in here please. Including outside lighting and light switch / dimmer questions.

Moderator: Moderators

nagapow
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Smart Light Switch Wiring Problem...

Post by nagapow »

Any help is appreciated - I am genuinely enjoying the challenge of figuring it out.. I want to fit a Meross Wifi Smart Light switch to enable automation of the porch lights but really struggling with the wiring... (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HT7NXG5/ ... UTF8&psc=1).

The current set up of the switches implicated is shown below (pic 1):

A picture of the wiring of the hallway switch is shown below (pic 2):

I can see there are 3 sets of [brown, blue, earth] wires and 1 set of [grey, black, earth]. I think the latter set is for connecting to the 'bottom of staircase switch' for 2-way control. There are couple brown wires inter-connecting the sockets.

The connection on the back of the smart switch looks like this (pic 3):

So my questions are:
1. How do wire the smart switch so that it replaces the current hallway switch?
2. I think I will lose the 2 way control function with the 'bottom of staircase switch' because the smart switch doesn't support 2-way control? Correct?
3. What do I do with the black and grey wire since the wifi switch does not support 2 way control?

Anything advice is much appreciated!
Someone-Else

Re: Smart Light Switch Wiring Problem...

Post by Someone-Else »

1) pretty much the same as it is now.
2) Yes, you will loose the 2 way function
3) Put them in single conenctors or wago's

Are you really sure you want to do do this? you are losing more than you will gain and you get grief.
Why not leave it as it is, and change the lamps to smart lamps?

I don't have wine~O's magic pen (He draws on people pictures, really handy) so, with that bit in mind:
The far right terminal clearly says 2 way, but what I want to check is. Does the terminal to its left have 3 brown wires? (all be it one is short)
Does the 2 way terminal (as I just mentioned) have a grey wire with brown sleaving?
At the other end of the switch (com) is that a black wire with brown sleaving?
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
nagapow
Newly registered Member

Post by nagapow »

someone-else wrote:1) pretty much the same as it is now.
2) Yes, you will loose the 2 way function
3) Put them in single conenctors or wago's

Are you really sure you want to do do this? you are losing more than you will gain and you get grief.
Why not leave it as it is, and change the lamps to smart lamps?

I don't have wine~O's magic pen (He draws on people pictures, really handy) so, with that bit in mind:
The far right terminal clearly says 2 way, but what I want to check is. Does the terminal to its left have 3 brown wires? (all be it one is short)
Does the 2 way terminal (as I just mentioned) have a grey wire with brown sleaving?
At the other end of the switch (com) is that a black wire with brown sleaving?
Thank you for answering! Reason for doing this is because my porch has 5 x LED downlights and therefore not possible to swap them out for smart bulbs.... Using the wifi switch would allow me to hook it up with my security camera and allow auto turn on porch light if motion is detected...

As for your questions:
1. yes (yeh, what is the purpose of the one short? how/should i recreate this connection on the smart switch?)
2. yes
3. yes

The blue wires are not currently corrected, am i right thinking they all need to go into the smart switch in the neutral socket?

Again, many thanks.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Since I don't have wine~O's drawing ability, it may be best if you put tape with numbers on all the long brown wires (not the short ones) and then take another picture.

But in short, one of the browns in "1 way" goes to the L in on your new switch, then each of the 3 long browns goes into Lout1, Lout2, Lout3 and leave the blues where they are, as they will not all fit in the neutral terminal, but you do take a blue wire from what the blue bunch are in,(Choc block or wago) to the N on the new switch

and as I already said the grey and black will go into their own single connector or wago.

don't try it tonight.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

nagapow
Newly registered Member

Post by nagapow »

someone-else wrote:Since I don't have wine~O's drawing ability, it may be best if you put tape with numbers on all the long brown wires (not the short ones) and then take another picture.

But in short, one of the browns in "1 way" goes to the L in on your new switch, then each of the 3 long browns goes into Lout1, Lout2, Lout3 and leave the blues where they are, as they will not all fit in the neutral terminal, but you do take a blue wire from what the blue bunch are in,(Choc block or wago) to the N on the new switch

and as I already said the grey and black will go into their own single connector or wago.

don't try it tonight.
Thank you for replying :) I was about to open up the switch and try it again - why not tonight?

Just for my own learning:
1. So does it have to be one of the long brown wires in '1way' that goes into the Lin on the new switch, or can it also be one of the long brown one in 'COM' and '2way'?
2. And can it be any one of the blue wire out of the blue bunch that go into the N on the new switch?

:salute:
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

nagapow wrote:Thank you for replying :) I was about to open up the switch and try it again - why not tonight?
Because I have to go to bed, so I can get up early, and no doubt you would have other questions (which you have)

Still do nothing as you have not read / understood what I said regarding the blue wires. I will be back later.
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
nagapow
Rating: 7.14%

nagapow
Newly registered Member

Post by nagapow »

someone-else wrote:
nagapow wrote:Thank you for replying :) I was about to open up the switch and try it again - why not tonight?
Because I have to go to bed, so I can get up early, and no doubt you would have other questions (which you have)

Still do nothing as you have not read / understood what I said regarding the blue wires. I will be back later.
Thanks - hoping to rewire tonight...
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

You still need to take a picture with labels on.

You have misunderstood regarding the blue wires. You need an EXTRA wire (blue would be nice) since all the blue wires that you have are to big to fit into the N terminal of your new switch.

nagapow
Newly registered Member

Post by nagapow »

someone-else wrote:You still need to take a picture with labels on.

You have misunderstood regarding the blue wires. You need an EXTRA wire (blue would be nice) since all the blue wires that you have are to big to fit into the N terminal of your new switch.
Here is a labelled picture...

Are you saying i need to manually connect the blue wires to one??

My current understanding:

RCOM + R2way ---> Wago
R1way ---> Lin
R1way ---> ?
M2way ---> Lout1
L2way ---> Lout2
LCOM ---> Lout3
4 x blue wires ---> ?
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

ahhh.......you have what wine~O has.

But the only problem is if I say move R1 to............you will not know which R1

can you fo it again, but just give them each a consecutive number
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
nagapow
Rating: 7.14%

nagapow
Newly registered Member

Post by nagapow »

someone-else wrote:ahhh.......you have what wine~O has.

But the only problem is if I say move R1 to............you will not know which R1

can you fo it again, but just give them each a consecutive number
Updated:

Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

:-)

Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

I may be in error, so it would be best to mark each cable the same as your picture. If you don't do this, and I am in error, it will be a lot of swearing.

1) in a choc bloc on its own
3) in a choc bloc on its own
4) in a choc bloc on its own
5) Lout 1 on your new switch
6) L in on your new switch
7) Lout 2 on your new switch

Lout 3 is a problem as it may be 2 or it may be 3, i really can not tell (they are both in the same terminal)

The blues, as already mentioned need to go to N on your new switch.

6 may also be wrong, as it may be 2 or 3, you really need a multi meter to find out.

Return to “Lighting”