Chimney stack

All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Is the shared chimney stack of a semi detached house classed as one or 2 chimney stacks?

One
67%
Two
33%

Total votes: 3
kastner
Newly registered Member

Chimney stack

Post by kastner »

This question may seem obvious to some but I am getting different opinions. Assume the party wall runs through the chimney.
Attachments
T013_Gallery01.jpg
T013_Gallery01.jpg (117.92 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
These users thanked the author kastner for the post:
Nick Dave
Rating: 7.14%
Chemfree

Re: Chimney stack

Post by Chemfree »

It`s clearly one stack as far as the outer structural aspect is concerned, although from a maintenance standpoint re internal chimney voids and pots and pointing responsibility, it is split into two halves.
However if the dividing section required repair or the concrete cap, that the four pots are secured within(if it has one), then again it will be treated as one structure, because that repair would be done as one.
Adjoining Semis, normally two different deeds, so from a sale and ownership viewpoint, two stacks.
If like two celebs I`ve heard of that were married but wanted their own space, hole knocked through adjoining wall for a door for when they`re both feeling civil, and one Property Deed, then it is definitely one stack...a stack of four chimneys, outlined by four pots.
Have I complicated the issue enough,haha?
These users thanked the author Chemfree for the post:
kastner
Rating: 7.14%
kastner
Newly registered Member

Post by kastner »

Chemfree wrote:It`s clearly one stack as far as the outer structural aspect is concerned, although from a maintenance standpoint re internal chimney voids and pots and pointing responsibility, it is split into two halves.
However if the dividing section required repair or the concrete cap, that the four pots are secured within(if it has one), then again it will be treated as one structure, because that repair would be done as one.
Adjoining Semis, normally two different deeds, so from a sale and ownership viewpoint, two stacks.
If like two celebs I`ve heard of that were married but wanted their own space, hole knocked through adjoining wall for a door for when they`re both feeling civil, and one Property Deed, then it is definitely one stack...a stack of four chimneys, outlined by four pots.
Have I complicated the issue enough,haha?
No that some good detail thanks. It seems quite obvious now that in terms of the outer structure and repair this chimney is one stack, although shared.
etaf

Post by etaf »

we had a stack at the front and back like this and just split the bill with the neighbours, luckily we had great neighbours
we also had a stack on the sides of the house and the pots blew down in a storm - so they all needed repointing

Return to “Building Forum”