Addition Of Shower Area To Downstairs Toilet Room

All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

ahll

Addition Of Shower Area To Downstairs Toilet Room

Post by ahll »

Currently I have a Shower over the bath but an elderly relative can not use it. So in order to accommodate them I believe I can tack a shower onto the downstairs toilet area.

I believe there is currently room between the end of the toilet room and the doorway into the kitchen (see pics)

I had a plumber around who told me I need to have a raised shower tray because the pipe work can’t go under the floor(the current pipe work is boxed in).

He quoted me £850 for tiling, fitting shower, shower try and new small wash basin_ - does that seem reasonable?

He told me I need to buy all the stuff tiles, shower, shower tray, small basin, bi-folding doors.

He also told me he doesn’t do walls so I would have to get area built up first n that it didn’t need planning permission.

So I got to wondering should I just do this myself?!

The wall at the end of the toilet room seems to be solid so that would have to be removed and a frame created. The water pipes should be easy to run to the shower since there is already hot n cold running to the sink.

I don’t want the shower area to feel really confined so I was wondering about using a 900x900 sower tray.

He said bi-folding door but I saw some sliding doors in Homebase the other day would’t they do just as well ?

I am a competent DIYer so I was wondering what you guys thought ? Any tips ?

Any recommendations for good a Raised Shower Trays, Thermostatic Shower, shower doors ?
Attachments
Outside wall and door to the toilet room
Outside wall and door to the toilet room
3959A879-EFE6-4302-91FB-ED79B1E45A59.jpeg (28.54 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
End Wall of toilet room n area to be used to extend room - shower area
End Wall of toilet room n area to be used to extend room - shower area
1D6199EE-EA39-4CF4-98EF-DFDDCA355111.jpeg (28.69 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
Current basin and end wall of toilet room
Current basin and end wall of toilet room
0324F41A-AEEB-4AB6-834D-658706AF0025.jpeg (18.2 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
You can see current pipe work boxed in on the floor to the left
You can see current pipe work boxed in on the floor to the left
7AFB5B2F-1053-4312-A8DE-B12182C8BCED.jpeg (25.23 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
Power to the little people
etaf

Re: Addition Of Shower Area To Downstairs Toilet Room

Post by etaf »

whats the pressure like on the hotwater ?
I assume the hot tank is in the loft and 2 floors - so should be fine or a shower , if it works upstairs already.
22mm or 15mm hotwater to downstairs ?
OR are you having a Electric shower?
I'm in a bungalow and just in the middle of doing the showers - one off the hotewater, so making sure enough pressure to run was critical.
wheres the sink empty ? - can the shower waste run in the existing boxing and get the required fall
Toilet fowl pipe ?
ahll

Re: Addition Of Shower Area To Downstairs Toilet Room

Post by ahll »

etaf wrote:whats the pressure like on the hotwater ?
I assume the hot tank is in the loft and 2 floors - so should be fine or a shower , if it works upstairs already.
22mm or 15mm hotwater to downstairs ?
OR are you having a Electric shower?
I'm in a bungalow and just in the middle of doing the showers - one off the hotewater, so making sure enough pressure to run was critical.
wheres the sink empty ? - can the shower waste run in the existing boxing and get the required fall
Toilet fowl pipe ?
The combi boiler is in the utility room which is where the toilet room is. So the boiler is on the other side of the room so only a few feet away from where the shower will be. Although the pipe go upstairs n come down to the toilet room. The plumber put in the boiler n saw no issue putting in a thermostatic shower in (that’s what he recommended). 15mm in toilet room.

Yes the waste can be run into the pipes already boxes in.
Power to the little people

Return to “Building Forum”