Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

detailsmatter
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Bracing internal stairway for large refrigerator move

Post by detailsmatter »

Hi there,

I'm new here, so hoping someone can offer an opinion and advice.

Context
Old fridge died recently, so I've got a new one to replace it. I'm in a multi-level apartment, starting from the 6th floor to 8th (rooftop). The kitchen and fridge are on the 7th floor, accessed via an internal staircase.

The challenge
Measurement wise, the new fridge fits up the stairway. However, the bottom portion of the stairs are too tight with a 90 degree angle - meaning we're unable to align the fridge into position and get it started. See photos attached.

Idea
Considering a temporary removal of the bottom of the stairway. Need to reinforce the remaining stairway to handle the weight of fridge (130kg) + people lifting it. This seems to require a cut to one existing bracing beam. See photos attached.

Any thoughts on the bracing of the stairway to support this maneuver would be much appreciated.
Attachments
Rough sketch of bracing idea. Remove all yellow stairs. Keep bracing beam and framing against the wall. Cut beam closer beam on red line. New temporary bracing frame created (blue, green, purple shading).
Rough sketch of bracing idea. Remove all yellow stairs. Keep bracing beam and framing against the wall. Cut beam closer beam on red line. New temporary bracing frame created (blue, green, purple shading).
41306d0d-57c6-4b53-8997-11f3ff3fa146.jpg (202.96 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
Join of facade to wall on 6th floor
Join of facade to wall on 6th floor
IMG_9392.jpg (176.96 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
facade and bracing beam on left side of stairway
facade and bracing beam on left side of stairway
IMG_9394.jpg (188.86 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
Stairway from 7th floor to 6th
Stairway from 7th floor to 6th
IMG_9343.jpg (206.33 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
Under stairway from 6th to 7th floor
Under stairway from 6th to 7th floor
IMG_9397.jpg (157.3 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
Another view of 90 degree bend in stairs on 6th floor
Another view of 90 degree bend in stairs on 6th floor
IMG_9393.jpg (150.04 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
Bottom of stairs on 6th floor
Bottom of stairs on 6th floor
IMG_9391.jpg (156.54 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
ayjay

Re: Bracing internal stairway for large refrigerator move

Post by ayjay »

Cutting it out is easy: I'd cut both strings at the same point and just remove the whole bottom section rather than dismantle it. Prior to that, build a temporary studwork under what will be the lowest remaining tread after both strings are cut.

The big question is:- How do you reinstate it. I wouldn't want to do it.

Alternative suggestions - crane it through a window at the finished level - a different fridge - a new staircase - it doesn't look too difficult from the last pic, get the top in and up first, maybe more bodies would help.
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post:
detailsmatter
Rating: 7.14%
One day it will all be firewood.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

It went up, so it must come down. Take the door(s) off, easy enough, to lighten and make it slimmer.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
detailsmatter
Rating: 7.14%
detailsmatter
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by detailsmatter »

Thanks @ayjay and @dewaltdisney.

Prior owner installed old fridge during construction. He used a crane. Council permissions for this take ~1 month here. It's my second option if the stairs is a total non-starter.

Doors were off the fridge during our attempt, including repackaging to avoid scratches. Feels like a comedy of errors here, but still convinced it's do-able.

Key opinions I was after was the stair carpentry work. As ayjay pointed out, it's probably easy to cut away, and a different story to reinstate.

The bottom section of stairs is a standalone frame, screwed together. See attached pic.
Not sure if that changes anything you would suggest?

Thanks!
Attachments
Bottom section standalone frame
Bottom section standalone frame
IMG_9330_2.jpg (724.35 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I think I would be breaking it. Okay, the freon escape is a bit naughty but I did it by accident once defrosting a fridge. Chop off what you can and take an angle grinder through the middle taking the easiest path. They are mostly panels pop riveted, a blown plastic interior, a bit of polystyrene insulation. If you can be arsed the non ferrous metals can be separated and sold the rest can be recycled.

I certainly would not be messing with the stairs as it would be less work breaking the fridge.

DWD
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

detailsmatter wrote:
The bottom section of stairs is a standalone frame, screwed together. See attached pic.
Not sure if that changes anything you would suggest?

Thanks!
Looking closely at the last pic it doesn't look like a traditional build where it's glued and wedged, so if it does just unscrew apart it's a lot more doable. I really wouldn't want to cut the strings though if it can be avoided - there's not enough meat left anywhere (out of sight) to get a good sized cleat on for a repair.
dewaltdisney wrote:
I certainly would not be messing with the stairs as it would be less work breaking the fridge.

DWD
You're going the wrong way DW, the problem is getting the new fridge in, not the old one out. :mrgreen:
One day it will all be firewood.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

assuming an upright
cut an oblong the size 0ff the fridge place on the winder measure up to the stairs above then deduct a full tread from the measurement and thats the maximum height you have
we are all ------------------still learning
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Sorry, I misunderstood :oops:

DWD

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”