Any finishing forman on here

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Markashley
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Any finishing forman on here

Post by Markashley »

Are there any finishing foreman on here, if so what paperwork do you need to be one? Thanks
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: Any finishing forman on here

Post by Job and Knock »

When talking in terms of main contractors you'll normally require a CSCS trade card (site carpenter - gold preferred, blue minimum) plus SSSTS as well as possibly a 3-day First Aid as well. Additionally a lot of larger sites/contractors have started to demand a manual handling ticket (RoSPA, etc). For working at height on a MEWP an IPAF 3a/3b is needed whilst if erecting/inspecting scaffolding towers a PASMA ticket would be needed, When working on refurbs of buildings built before 2000 (i.e. refurbs) it's normal to expect all workers to hold UKATA Asbestos Awareness, but certainly at least the foreman will require it. There are other items which different firms may or may not require, such as Working at Height training, etc. If using power tools which require extraction (e.g. sanders, planers, saws, etc) there is a requirement for a face-fitted P3 dust mask to be worn, so you may need to have a face-fit test done with the mask you intend to use. In law a site supervisor must be capable of writing a risk assessment and method statement from scratch. BTW under current CDM Regs you are no longer a foreman, but technically a "site supervisor".

Some of these tickets are renewed annually (e.g. UKATA), some every 3 years (e.g. 1st Aid) and some every 5 years (e.g CSCS, SSSTS, IPAF, PASMA, etc). So at times my life seems to be a constant round of renewing tickets (at least this year has been)

I know that there are some here who'll voice the usual complaints about this all being a money-making scam, but the point is that without all this stuff should you or an employee you are responsible for (cards-in, agency or subbie) have an accident the HSE can come down on you pretty heavily, more so if you are not appropriately qualified whilst being in a position of responsibility (it takes appropriate knowledge, experience and proof of training to be a "competent person" in H&S law). It's worth noting that the HSE is more often than not going to write you up in such a case and charge you £129/hour for the privilege of doing so (as well as possibly doing the same for your "site manager") as these days they are self-financing.
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”