Squeaky flooring

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

headey

Squeaky flooring

Post by headey »

A friend lives in a downstairs flat and the upstairs flooring was very noisy. I know that the floor/ceiling is made of concrete beams with standard chipboard flooring laid on relatively this laths of wood. A carpenter/builder has recently cured the squeaking because (as the story was related to me) the laths had "popped out of their holes at the fixings against the walls." Once these were replaced and, I assume, secured, the floor is quiet once more.

My question is: how are such floors constructed? I repaired one broken piece of the flooring that definitely was creaking, but I did not examine the edges or corners. The builder who did cure the problem apparently said, "Oh yes, I know exactly what is wrong." So, can anyone explain it to me, as I don't know what question to ask the internet?
headey

Re: Squeaky flooring

Post by headey »

Maybe UH needs a 'Delete' function. I have now learned that the tale of the squeaky flooring that was related to me was totally misunderstood. My original fix had been perfectly correct, there were no 'beams popping out of sockets' and the later carpenter had done just what I'd done a year earlier.
Someone-Else

Squeaky flooring

Post by Someone-Else »

UHM forums does have a delete button, its this one
delete-button.jpg
delete-button.jpg (1 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
But it only works for about 10 minutes after you post, then it vanishes. (No really it does)
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: Squeaky flooring

Post by Job and Knock »

headey wrote:there were no 'beams popping out of sockets'
There are no beams at all in modern domestic buildings - just joists - and they are often held in joist hangers into masonry or onto ledgers and nailed in (so they couldn't "pop out")
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”