Car over revving when changing gear

Vehicle maintenance and repair questions in here please for all questions relating to Cars, Vans etc.

Moderator: Moderators

splay1997
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Car over revving when changing gear

Post by splay1997 »

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering whether anyone could help me. I have a problem with my seat Ibiza 1.2 PETROL MANUAL. Whilst I change gears when I drive, the revs seem to shoot up for a couple of seconds and then comes back down on revs. It does not consistently. Any suggestions as to what it could be?

Kind regards,

Tony
dewaltdisney

Re: Car over revving when changing gear

Post by dewaltdisney »

I think the accelerator operates by electronically rather than mechanically by a cable. These sender units incorporate the pedal arm and can go faulty and it may well need replacement. However, the first step is to get the error codes checked on the diagnostic port.

DWD
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

:welcomeuhm:

I assume you can tell this from watching the rev. counter? How many miles has the car done?

Try this test - drive along at about 30mph in third gear, going up a gentle hill, then floor the throttle without changing gear - does it do it now? If so, "slipping" clutch, i.e. worn out, about to need a new one.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Just to rule out the stupid, you aren't pressing the accelerator during the gear change are you?
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

what year ? have you purchased new shoes lately ? how long have you owned the car ? changing up or down gear ?

Return to “Vehicle maintenance & Repair”