What brand of switches/sockets?

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Me9141
Newly registered Member

What brand of switches/sockets?

Post by Me9141 »

When we renovated the house few years ago we replaced all standard MK/BG electrical switches and sockets for 'One Electrical' polished chrome.

Over the years I have replaced countless switches, due to a faulty design on the switch rocker. I contact one electrical and they send me them out as they are covered under a thirty year gaurantee.

I am completely sick of doing this and they have stopped responding to my emails, rather than suing them I will change them out.

What is the best quality brand for household switches, we have a high traffic house so must be sturdy.

Ideally I'd like polished chrome/steel to go wit the rest of the decor.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Me9141
Newly registered Member

Re: What brand of switches/sockets?

Post by Me9141 »

Been in contact with one electrical, they no longer make switches and sockets and as such cant send me anything out.

Surely this is a breach of the 30 year gaurantee they offered. Clearly there is some form of legal action I can take but the agro involved isnt worth it.

Have tirelessly looked for MK models but couldnt find anything at a reasonable price nor in polished chrome/white insert.

I have gone with BG Nexus range, has a 25 year gaurantee. Found a cheap supplier and decided to do both switches and sockets downstairs and just switches upstairs to reduce cost as the sockets were never that bad. Link used below, hope these last better than the others.

https://www.buy-sockets.com/
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

MK or Crabtree for me

Anything fancy is 2-4 times the cost of plastic if not more eg. MK chroma rrp. £23 each (K2948PCR)
Me9141
Newly registered Member

Post by Me9141 »

Thanks for the reply.

You're right, it is far more expensive, but as its for home and not a rental I am more inclined to get something astetically pleasing rather than the white ones, plus I'm repalcing polished chrome.

MK's range for polished chrome is really expensive. If I were to get plastic ones I'd go with MK.

All in for 15 switches, 2 intermediate, 1 2 gang switch, 2 USB sockets and 8 standard sockets it was £145. Which isnt that bad. Not repalcing upstairs sockets (as the sockets are ok) just repalcing all of downstairs so they mactch.
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

Scolmore for me.

https://www.scolmore.com/products/deco/#

Unless I am too late to make the suggestion.
These users thanked the author OnlyMe for the post:
wine~o
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Electric Forum UK”