What to best do about wasps nesting in outside wall?

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

jameslpool
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What to best do about wasps nesting in outside wall?

Post by jameslpool »

Hi, I live in a fairly new build home.

Last year we noticed wasps coming and going to a hole that’s in the wall outside, i think the hole is from where they probably put in the cavity wall insulation. there are a few of these holes but from what i can see all are filled in apart from one which is where we had seen wasps coming and going through the hole.

As it got to the winter they obviously died off and didn't think much more of it, in the last 2 days though we have seen wasps coming and going again from the same hole, last year, sometimes it seemed like the wasps themselves actually covered the inside of the hole so to stop anything coming in as sometimes it looked like a hole then other times if looked filled in lol.

Anyway, I’m assuming another queen is in there and are either in the process of making a nest, or would they just use the one that was there from last year?

How am i best getting rid of them? i was wondered if just filling the hole in would do the job but i read that if you fill the hole in with them in there, they can get a bit annoyed and if they manage to get in the inside of the house they could attack.

Am i best just getting a wasp control company to deal with them, I’ve read that about £30-£40 seems the going rate for them to get rid of them, do they literally just die inside the cavity or will they fill the hole in or do i just fill that in once they have done their job?

Any advice on the best thing to do would be great.

James
Someone-Else

Re: What to best do about wasps nesting in outside wall?

Post by Someone-Else »

Kill them.
death to wasps.jpg
death to wasps.jpg (197.09 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
I had a similar problem, so I found and used this stuff, takes about 10 minutes, and they are dead. Only "Problem" is you have to hold it at an upward angle and squeeze it into the hole* It seems that as the wasps go in they take some of this stuff with them and.........

There is also a spray foam, that kills in seconds, but only those it touches.

*Don't squeeze too hard, and don't have your face too close when you do.

I got the powder and the foam from B & Q in the gardening section. (Amazon also have it)
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
boxedin

Post by boxedin »

Wasps don't inhabit the same nest they move on so just fill the hole in
These users thanked the author boxedin for the post:
BSM-Williams
Rating: 7.14%
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

boxedin wrote:Wasps don't inhabit the same nest they move on so just fill the hole in
You might know that, but the wasps around here don't know that. Had wasps in the same place 2 years running, never took much notice of them the first year, then last year they became a nuisance, so I killed them.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

BSM-Williams
Newly registered Member

Post by BSM-Williams »

1, smallboard or ledge of some sort outside the nest hole, cover it with ant powder or wasp nest destroyer powder, keep topped up untill dead

2, at night in darkness, go to nest hole and spray a whole can of fly spray into it, the fumes will kill them all off, bung hole up after spraying.

3, at night in darkness bung hole up,

4, call a professional who will atend for a price , drill a 10mm hole in your wall and inject a water type liquid to squirt the nest and then kill them all.

alternative to that is swap squirt nozzel in fly spray can to can off a wd40 can with the little red plastic tube and use that to inject inside the wall
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

someone-else wrote:
boxedin wrote:Wasps don't inhabit the same nest they move on so just fill the hole in
You might know that, but the wasps around here don't know that. Had wasps in the same place 2 years running, never took much notice of them the first year, then last year they became a nuisance, so I killed them.
There was a thread on here some years back, wasp nested in the same place for several years, The nest was Huge

The powder that someone-else recommended certainly works, best applied to the hole either very early in the morning or very late in the evening when the wasps are less active, I would check for any further activity (wasps leaving/entering) after 48 hours before sealing.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

It’s funny how times change!

A few years ago (2013) we had three wasps’ nests here, I searched the internet and the general consensus, was not to attempt it yourself as it is dangerous!

All the info I could find said that it is a dangerous job and should be left to the professionals, who have the correct training and safety clothes.

I phoned a local pest control company and paid roughly £40 for one nest, then £20 for the other two.

My mate and I was working in the garden, when a woman turned up in a pair of shorts and just squirted some wasp killer powder through the vents, or into holes in the masonry. The powder killed the wasps instantly, as soon as it hit them. There were no angry wasps swarming about (like I expected). A couple of years later and I had another wasps nest above by bathroom ceiling (they were so loud, it sounded like mice). This time I bought some Rentokil wasp killer powder and squirted it into the hole, using a long tube and old fire extinguisher (as it was a few metres from the ground) It soon wiped them out.

I’ve taken care of another nest too for a friend, at floor level. I did buy a bee keepers hat, and normally put my welding overalls and welding gloves on, but once the powder hits their nest they are in no state to fight back- it just wipes them out!

This is what I used- https://fave.co/2Dit1RQ
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

When I did mine a good few years ago the wasps got well angry and were up for stinging anyone in range... by the following day there were only a few fairly drowsy vespers left. by day 2 all were dead.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

In my flat they had nested in a small crack in my front door steps. They came back every year. I just squirted some of the white powder stuff down the crack and they didn't come back until the next year. I really should have cemented the crack but never got round to it.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

wine~o wrote:When I did mine a good few years ago the wasps got well angry and were up for stinging anyone in range... by the following day there were only a few fairly drowsy vespers left. by day 2 all were dead.
I had wasps nesting behind a low airbrick in one place I lived, they weren't bothering me so I left them alone. However, my neighbour treated the nest with some sort of white powder, I noticed the powder when I came home and bent down to take a look and promptly got stung on the back of the neck.

For the next few days the wasps would walk in through the back door (presumably too weak to fly) and make their way through the house to the corner of the lounge underneath which corner was the nest.

The dog used to lick the damned things up on their way if he saw them, he got stung a couple of times too.
One day it will all be firewood.
tileguru
Newly registered Member

Post by tileguru »

Just phone the council, I had a nest in part of the roof once, the powder stuff worked for a bit but they just keep coming back, get an expert in and invest in a few bottles of Raid in the meantime haha
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

tileguru wrote:Just phone the council
That is easier said than done, most councils now charge for pest control ours is £53 / for the first nest.
Wasp nest killer powder less than £10.

Return to “General DIY forum”