Making curved corners

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Stealthwolf
Newly registered Member

Making curved corners

Post by Stealthwolf »

I'd like to make the frames below out of 2x1 timber and turn it into a storage rack. I reckon I can cut curves on the outside with a jigsaw. I plan to round over the edges with a trim router. How do I tackle the internal corners?
Attachments
wooden frame 01.png
wooden frame 01.png (14.83 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
dewaltdisney

Re: Making curved corners

Post by dewaltdisney »

One way is with a straight router cutter with a bearing. You would have to cut a template that would allow the bearing to follow and cut each frame identically. The bearing follows the template which can be temporarily screwed on the frame top or bottom, or clamped, and the cutter works the stock. The stock removed will give narrower frame widths to allow for the inner curve. Making the template needs a bit of care and calculation to get right as any error will be replicated in every cut. Make a trial piece and see how you get on to understand the inner curve. :thumbright:

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Stealthwolf
Rating: 7.14%
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

you will get an arc on the inside naturally because the bearing will act as if the corner was infilled with the same radius as the cutter bearing so may give the appearance you want anyway

any added material to the inner corners will have to be a perfect arc as the bearing will run on this and any deviations will transfer and may be magnified
These users thanked the author big-all for the post:
Stealthwolf
Rating: 7.14%
we are all ------------------still learning
Stealthwolf
Newly registered Member

Post by Stealthwolf »

Thanks. I've realised the best approach might be to use wider rails. If I get the outer curves perfect, then I can use a trim router and guide to remove the extra waste and hopefully match the outer corners.
Attachments
wooden frame 02.png
wooden frame 02.png (14.77 KiB) Viewed 1657 times

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”