Recommendations for a digital level please.

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

jg

Recommendations for a digital level please.

Post by jg »

I'm in need of a digital spirit level for general DIY use. Probably 60cm
I don't get on too well with standard bubble levels, I've had the GemRed one from Axminster for about 7 years now.
Not seen a lot of use, and not been dropped AFAIK not got wet, but it has starting behaving "strangely" sometimes will get stuck on one angle, sometimes will require calibration again and again.
I'm assuming there are no "user servicable parts" :)

I'd like something half decent but not too expensive.
I could just get another GemRed for £32 from axminster.
Seems to be a different model to the one I have

Actually this looks like mine
https://www.axminster.co.uk/gemred-digi ... vel-211592
I paid £40

The Stanley Fatmax is coming in at £75

Any opinions or other options please?

Thanks
I am not a pro.
boxedin

Re: Recommendations for a digital level please.

Post by boxedin »

Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

The Bosch and BMI are both good digital levels - but cost significantly more. TBH I tend to use a combination of laser levels and decent spirit levels (in my case Stabila)
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
etaf

Post by etaf »

do you have a smart phone - could try the app
i have used on a normal level before , but just general DIYer
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

etaf wrote:do you have a smart phone - could try the app
i have used on a normal level before , but just general DIYer
The problem with using something as short as a phone for many tasks should be self-evident - lack of base length. The longer a spirit level is the more accurate it is simply because it can take-out discrepancies in the length of a piece of material. Trying to use a smart phone on something like a door casing to check it for plumb and you'll probably fail. It just won't work if the legs are anything but dead straight (and let's face it what woodwork is ever dead straight?). A joiner's 6ft level works because it allows you to see any bow in the timber, and to correct it. So, basically while a smart phone app will allow you to check if your 150mm/6in wide framed photograph of Great Aunt Hermione is level, it'll be somewhat less useful if you are trying to level-up a 10ft run of book shelves........

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
fin

Post by fin »

ive got laser levels and stabila levels. laser for setting out kitchens etc. stabila girder levels are great. sure theyre the 83s series...
https://www.its.co.uk/search.aspx?rs=st ... =match_and

never tried a digital level and i should imagine i can get what i need done with a combination of my laser level and my stabilla levels.

i do need to buy a new 6ft level though. my current one is 6'6" but its been knocked and am sure theres a slight bend in it last time i used it
etaf

Post by etaf »

The problem with using something as short as a phone for many tasks should be self-evident - lack of base length.
sorry, I should have explained a little clearer than I did - I used it on a level itself , which i may not have explained well in my statement fully
i have used on a normal level before
,as i know you need a longer surface and was useful where one of the long 4' level I had , i put the smartphone ontop of that level to see the bubble as i did not have one of these cleaver bubble levels, which i do have now and 6' lenght
etaf

Post by etaf »

The problem with using something as short as a phone for many tasks should be self-evident - lack of base length.
sorry, I should have explained a little clearer than I did - I used it on a level itself , which i may not have explained well in my statement fully
i have used on a normal level before
,as i know you need a longer surface and was useful where one of the long 4' level I had , i put the smartphone ontop of that level to see the bubble as i did not have one of these cleaver bubble levels, which i do have now and 6' lenght
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

etaf wrote:
Think about this: firstly the casing of a smart phone is nowhere near as perfectly machined as the surfaces of my Stabila levels and secondly a 1mm packer (or piece of grit) beneath the end of a 6ft level will cause a minor, but discernable, difference in the accuracy of the level - the same packer or dirt under the end of a 150mm long smart phone will cause an error 12 times as great. That would be totally unacceptable in, say, a door casing. So smart phone level software is only a vague indication of anything and cannot be trusted

jg

Post by jg »

Thanks for the suggestions.

While deciding which one to go for, I've continued using my digital level as a normal level as it has the clearest bubble from my random selection of old levels.
Also, it is visible from above, which was very useful leveling something at ground level.

I came across this site, which seems to have a selection of cheaper digital levels.

https://www.machine-dro.co.uk/catalogse ... ital+level

They seem to have a good selection around the £20-£40 mark, which is more my kind of price range.
But for now mine seems to be working ok again.
Will sometimes jump out by 20° if I knock it too hard, but it has been better than it was, maybe it got damp or something.
I am not a pro.

Return to “Tool Talk”