Moderator: Moderators

Anth1983
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Loft mods

Post by Anth1983 »

Hi all,
Long time user, first time poster. First off let me thank all in this forum for the help that has been provided over the years.
I cant find an answer for this anywhere.
I want to move the 2 middle joists(?) That are above the purlins up a touch. Mainly just want to move them to about a 6'2" height so i can walk under them and not have to duck every 2 steps whilst I'm mincing about up there.
I tried uploading a pic to show what i mean, but it was too many pixels.
Tia,
Anth
ayjay

Re: Loft mods

Post by ayjay »

At a guess, you mean "collars", not joists.

How far (vertically) do you want to raise them?
collars etc.png
collars etc.png (15.25 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
One day it will all be firewood.
Anth1983
Newly registered Member

Post by Anth1983 »

Thems the ones. Around six foot 2. Just to give me (6 foot) enough room to manoeuvre around up there in the middle of the space.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

I understood that you wanted to raise them to 6'2", but how much will you have to raise them to achieve that, and are you only moving two of them?

You'll notice on the drawing that they're called "Collar Ties": this is because they help to tie the roof together. If you raise them to much it will compromise the integrity of the structure, a few inches is unlikely to be a problem but much more could be.
Anth1983
Newly registered Member

Post by Anth1983 »

ayjay wrote:I understood that you wanted to raise them to 6'2", but how much will you have to raise them to achieve that, and are you only moving two of them?

You'll notice on the drawing that they're called "Collar Ties": this is because they help to tie the roof together. If you raise them to much it will compromise the integrity of the structure, a few inches is unlikely to be a problem but much more could be.
Sorry, mi read the question. They would be raised an extra 19". Currently sit at 55" i want to go up to 74.
Yes, just the middle 2 of 4, so the 2 end ones would remain untouched as they are not in the way.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Without seeing the roof, I don't think anyone should say you can raise them 19" without a potential problem.
Yes, just the middle 2 of 4, so the 2 end ones would remain untouched
Is this a very small roof, or is the roof larger but without collars on every pair of rafters?
Anth1983
Newly registered Member

Post by Anth1983 »

The house is around 6m wide with 4 collars total every 3 rafters. The roof itself is around 2.9m tall in the centre.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”