Live Neutral reverse Fault

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

owb82
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Live Neutral reverse Fault

Post by owb82 »

Hi Guys,
I could do with some advice from you fine people. Today I was spurring off a socket in the lounge of my house that I’m renovating. After adding the new socket I tested it with a plug in socket tester. And it came up with a ‘Live Neutral reverse’ fault. I checked the socket and it was wired up correctly. So I went around testing more sockets and found all the ones in the Lounge and the master bedroom to be in the same fault. I have all the sockets away from the wall atm, so had a look and they are all wired correctly.
There are two circuit loops in the house. I switched off the one that supplies the good sockets so could see which loop was affected. There are some sockets on the loop that are reading correctly.
Would it be the case that some sockets would have a Live Neutral Fault and some be reading ok on the same loop?
After that I isolated the RCD unit. Opened it up and had a look. All the Live red wires where going into the top of the MCBs and all the neutral black wires where going to the neutral bus bar. All earths connected to the earth bus bar. Everything seemed to look ok.
So I disconnected the two live red wires from the top of the MCB of the affected main loop and checked the for continuity. No problems. Then I checked to see if I was getting any readings across the live and neutral. Found to be an open loop on my Fluke.
What am I missing here. Can anyone shed some light onto what’s going on I’m pulling my hair out today and my usual electrician is flat out busy and not answering his phone.
Is there something else I can try before ringing round to try and bring in help? Should I lift the floors boards and look to see if the is a JB i don’t know about?
Thanks
Alan
Someone-Else

Re: Live Neutral reverse Fault

Post by Someone-Else »

You have answered your own question
owb82 wrote: Should I lift the floors boards and look to see if the is a JB i don’t know about?
If all the sockets are wired with the right colours the right way round, and same at the CU then they have been swapped round somewhere that you have not yet looked.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
ericmark

Post by ericmark »

What type of plug in tester? If it has a loop test then it would likely show if a poor earth, however without the loop test a disconnected earth can show all sorts of faults which are not real.
owb82
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by owb82 »

Thanks for the replies guys

Return to “Electric Forum UK”