Moving a double socket higher

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Someone-Else

Re: Moving a double socket higher

Post by Someone-Else »

kevinsmbuk wrote:Thanks for the information. So the long as short of it I am looking at a full rewire at some point!

Because of the green goo, yes.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

Argyll wrote:Wago's are great but personally I'd crimp and heatshrink and cover the single socket with plaster. No point having a blank plate in the wall if there's no need. Particularly if you wish to have higher skirting boards and the blank plate would obstruct that which happened in my case.

I understand wago's would be the quicker option but there's mixed messages whether they are maintenance free (MF) or not so you can't bury them.

I'm not an electrician so maybe an electrician would confirm if wago's are MF or not.
Wagos are MF. However you could not use them to join two cables and just bury it in plaster.
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

someone-else wrote:
kevinsmbuk wrote: (it's a 60's house with green goo type outer sheathing!)
If you have green goo, that is the cable starting to breakdown :shock:
It's the degredation of the placticiser in the PVC coating.

It is not dangerous.

Although a rewire is the only known cure (whereas penecillin can cure green goo in men)
Duck_Tape

Post by Duck_Tape »

Just to chip in, I had no idea what "Green Goo" was so I looked it up
for further reading see here
I am still not so sure I get it, soapy liquid causing the issue or a real (stop using the electrics, get a EICR done ASAP) I have never seen Green Goo on electrical wiring. But should it come up in the future I would prefer to be informed

Thanks
Duck Tape
I love hard work, I could watch it all day
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

It doesn't need an EICR done "instantly" TBH I would not bother since there is no "cure" for it, the only way to get it resolved is to replace all the affected wiring, and if you are doing that, and its over 50% of the cables, then yes may as well rewire the whole lot.

Fairy liquid was used, as was tallow (an animal fat) to lubricate the cables when being pulled down a conduit. Twin and earth doesn't need conduit, and shouldn't really be in conduit. (Space factor, yes ok if you use a huge diameter drainage pipe as a conduit, but then you won't need lubrication) So I doubt in a domestic house it will be washing up liquid. (Singles are used in conduit, and I have yet to see singles have green goo, but I have seen them with washing up liquid, or tallow.)

Yes the green goo is the plasticiser in the PVC reacting with the copper of the cables, so I look at it the longer it has been there the worse its going to get, and if you have green goo, that means the cables are 40+ years old, yes if they pass an IR test officially they can stay, but would you want green goo everywhere that you can't see, and when it was first discovered there was no such thing as wifi and the like, so I am also saying it may (only may, not will) affect any "new fangled" switches

I will also point out when a property is sold nowdays often an EICR is done, so if you have green goo, you may as well have a rewire before you sell as some joker will say its really bad and want to knock £10K off the house price. If on the flip side you are old and have no intention of moving...............keep your green goo and the cables, a rewire can be stressful
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)

Return to “Electric Forum UK”