Help. flaky paint......

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

jordancorey

Help. flaky paint......

Post by jordancorey »

Hi, I do home maintenance and i went to look at a job today. Its the hall, stairs and landing. However, the paint as started to flake and come away. It was last painted with leyland trade paint but 6 months down the line, it started to flake. Does anyone know what might have caused this? And what can I do to prep it before I repaint it. Cheers in advance.
Attachments
flaky paint.jpg
flaky paint.jpg (103.01 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
jordancorey

Re: Help. flaky paint......

Post by jordancorey »

Surely someone must know what has caused this and how to put it right????
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

OK :cb

It looks as if the coat of paint that was against the plaster/plasterboard had been put on in full thickness. Normally, the first coat should be a mist-coat, i.e. a trade emulsion diluted with water, usually 25% water added. [Maximum dilution varies from manufacturer to manufacturer of paint and porosity of substrate]. Was it painted before it was painted with leyland trade paint? Is it flacking off along more areas (hall stairs and landing ... sounds like fun).

You have more flacking paint on the right of the photograph. Scrape off all that comes off and it is possible it will all come off. See if you can remove the odd bits left in the middle of the photo. Normally you would have to sand the edges where the paint meets bare plaster to feather them [the edges]. Then you need a wide filling knife (a taping knife or a small plasterer's trowel) and fill from the paint onto the plaster so you loose as much as possible the step from the plaster to the paint. Sand and make good etc and dust off. Mistcoat all the bare plaster and filled areas.

The problem is that if you then paint all the ceiling you might find it bubbles elsewhere and you are back to where you started. One solution would be to make good all the flacking areas as above and then coat the whole ceiling with Zinsser Peel Stop and forget the mist coating bit.

==========================
As a homeowner/DIYer I would be inclined to scrape as much as possible and see what I am left with. You, charging for your labour, cannot afford to spend for ever scraping paint off, so you are moving towards the zinsser product.
gc1967

Post by gc1967 »

Completely scrape off as much as you can until you get to hard edges, dust it all down, apply a coat of adhesion primer to the bare areas and allow to dry, then using a caulking board fill 2 to 3 times and then sand down, apply a thinned down coat of emulsion the filler and then repaint the ceiling a couple of times and keep everything crossed it doesn't bubble in other areas, as already said the paint looks like it was applied neat without thinning and looking at the bare areas they look dirty too. Good luck.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”