Rising Damp

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Rising Damp

Post by 27188 »

1920s property with Bitchuman DPC between bricks I think, never found a visible layer between bricks but DPC present under joists. Cause is outside bridging of the DPC which will be lowered to 150mm below joists.
Plaster removed to damp areas.

Moister readings are in 20s in these areas after being open to the air for 2 months.

When is it safe to replaster? I will use waterproof agent in cement render or a Tanking product to waterproof.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks
John
sammy.se

Re: Rising Damp

Post by sammy.se »

Hi

If it is a single brick wall, maybe you need to use lime render (externally) and lime plaster (internally) and not cement...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by 27188 »

[quote="sammy.se"]Hi

If it is a single brick wall, maybe you need to use lime render (externally) and lime plaster (internally) and not cement...

Thanks. Was more interested in when it will be safe to plaster over the walls. What harm am I doing in plastering a wall that is damp if I am taking precautions to prevent further dampness at same time.

Double brick wall
sammy.se

Post by sammy.se »

Hi,

Yes, I get your point. The reason i bought up lime, was because lime will 'breathe', and so even if the wall was slightly damp, it will eventually dry out. The same is not true for cement - any moisture still in the wall will remain trapped. Is the external wall rendered or exposed bricks? If it's brick, then moisture can still escape that way, if you plastered the inside. If it's rendered i would consider waiting to you are sure the wall is fully dry.

Cheers,
S

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”