Which wall to tile first

Tiling questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

James11
Newly registered Member

Which wall to tile first

Post by James11 »

Sorry for the rubbish picture. I'm going to be tiling the full walls in my bathroom, which wall should I do first? Does it matter what order I do them in?

Thanks
Attachments
PhotoPictureResizer_190313_140406683.jpg
PhotoPictureResizer_190313_140406683.jpg (310.19 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
dewaltdisney

Re: Which wall to tile first

Post by dewaltdisney »

It is usual to work from the window as you do not want to be messing around with thin slivers of tile around the reveals. From there calculate the levels to other fixed points like the bath rim. A pro tiler will know this all just in a quick scan but for a DIY tiling job it is best to spend a bit of time calculating it all before you start. It might seem a bit over the top but put masking tape on an area of carpet, to give the window outline as guide. Then lay tiles with spacers to get an layout that works. This will give you measurements that you can take to the walls and mark out to see how they work.

A bit of time on your tile plan layout will save a lot of headaches as you proceed.

Have you got a tile cutter? Depending in how big your tiles are this is a cheap option https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=tile%20cutter

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
James11
Rating: 7.14%
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

As above, a good tip is make up a tile stick, lay some tiles out with spacers lay a length of batten about 4ft or so long beside them and mark off the tiles with felt tip on the batten, then use that as a measure to set out your tiles. :thumbright:
These users thanked the author toolbox for the post:
James11
James11
Newly registered Member

Post by James11 »

Thank you for you're replys.

I don't actually have a window in the bathroom but I understand what you're saying, identify the main focal points in the room and make sure the tiles are spaced out well around them and work from there.

I'll definitely make a measuring batten and make sure all the walls are planned out before I begin.

Thanks again.
wasim21k
Been thanked: 0

Post by wasim21k »

as mater of fact i m going to tile my entire bathroom and it has same plan as yours. but with extra bit i.e window over right hand side. i usually draw all on paper with accurate measurements to understand tile cutting and what goes where. have look at the picture, its only front wall and i m not finished and you probably can see the problems in tile cutting size etc...
Attachments
bathroom_tiling.PNG
bathroom_tiling.PNG (17.33 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
Am I doing it right?
PiHome - Smart Heating Control
darrenba

Post by darrenba »

Start with 1/2 tile at the bottom, that way you get rid of the thin cut above bath and at top of wall.
Start from a centre line and work outwards. Don't start with full tile against a wall unless you know that wall is 100% perfect upright.
These users thanked the author darrenba for the post:
wasim21k

Return to “Tiling Forum”