Cat deterrents

Please post all of your gardening questions in here and one of our green fingered members will try and help.

Moderator: Moderators

pjontheroadagain
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Cat deterrents

Post by pjontheroadagain »

Can anyone recommend the best way of stopping cats crapping in my garden?

Which is the best option between crystals and liquid sprays?

Or is there a good DIY alternative? Someone recommended lemon toilet blocks!
Someone-Else

Re: Cat deterrents

Post by Someone-Else »

Some say half filled bottle of water, some say lion poop (Its easier to get than you would have thought) other say rose stems / thorns, truth is, there is no such thing as "This really will work all the time every time" :tongue8:
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Get a cat.

The only way to keep 'other' cats out is to let your own cat do it.
Don't take it personally......
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

My garden was being used by 1/2 dozen cats as their private toilet, not great. Every time my toddler was in the garden I'd have to check the lawn for poo and clean it up so he could play. I was getting so p***ed off i bought a bunch of components to attempt to build a PIR based water sprayer! I never got around to it ::b

I also watched carefully where the cats were pooing and the entry / exit routes and started to block them off and make things as difficulty as possible for them. I think there is only one cat who enters the garden now but I haven't had a chance to deal with that yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrgUqxFik7k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Cuustrd_4

ah
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Get a lurcher :lol: Mine have nailed two already. Although I took no pleasure in seeing that I haven't had cats in my garden for years :thumbright:

The guy along the road from me gets lion/tiger dung from Blair Drummond Safari Park in Stirling. He swears he's never saw a cat in his garden for years.
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

I would suggest that allowing your dog to kill a cat is illegal - highly illegal - and that if the cat owners got wind of the fact then your dog would be destroyed as 'dangerous' and you would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Certainly I wouldn't like to own a dog that had inclinations to 'kill'.......

FFS :roll:
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

I would suggest that allowing your dog to kill a cat is illegal - highly illegal
Oh KE once again you are so wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start.

Both cats came into to my garden. The dogs chased and caught them and killed them. I was in my house at the time so wasn't' aware until much later. Not nice to see but not illegal especially since the cats came on to my property. Even if it wasn't on my property it still wouldn't be illegal as a cat is classed as a 'free spirit' and as such their owner hold no liability for any damage caused by the cat. A dogs owner on the other hand is liable for any damage caused by his dog.

For example if a dog ran out on the street and caused an accident the owner is liable for any damages not so for a cat owner. The flip side is no one is responsible for damages if a cat is injured or killed. The legal term is 'you can't have all the plum and no duff'.

I suggest you get your facts correct before making assumptions but it seems to be a trait of yours.
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

Let's lighten the mood ...

kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Argyll - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... l-15660455

bite me....

...and that's prior to the law being changed re the definition of a dangerous animal. If the owners of the cat reported your dog for its behaviour because THEY felt threatened (that your dog, killing their cat, may attack 'them' due to its temperment) then your dog is toast.

The fact that you appear to be complacent (enough to 'brag' about its behaviour) about it killing a cat makes you an irresponsible dog owner. 99% of the time I don't/won't blame a dog for its actions - it is usually the fault of the owner.

The fact that, in that case, the dog 'escaped from the garden' was a mitigating factor to be sure but I don't think the new laws re dangerous dogs will allow even a gardened dog to get away with such behaviour.

Anyway, posting your opinion in the form of it being humorous and a 'serious' answer to a minor issue
some idiot wrote:Get a lurcher :lol: Mine have nailed two already.
sort of lends its own conclusions.

I often question whether the law puts the 'right' animal down.
These users thanked the author kellys_eye for the post (total 2):
OchAyecamallison
Rating: 14.29%
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

I am not taking sides, but that article was in written in 2011, and it is not the law. It was (at the time) only a judges opinion of a case put before him.
info i found wrote:Unless anything has changed (will have to look up recent changes to DDA) there was a landmark case some years ago when a Bullterrier killed a cat that came into its garden. The ruling was that dogs kills cats and it's natural, end of story.
also there was
more info wrote:Nope. A short while ago some people were trying to push for it to become law but were heavily opposed - and even the Cats Protection were against it being brought in because it is natural and, frankly, ridiculous.

All you can do is attempt to keep your dog from injuring them but if he does, it is not your or his fault. Unfortunately it's not the cat owner's fault either, because they are still viewed as wild animals legally so there is no obligation for cat owners to keep their cats from being a nuisance.

That being said, I do know of a few cases where cat owners in social housing were brought to task by their councils because of their cats either completely driving everyone around them insane constantly or just breeding endlessly until there were kittens everywhere!

Both the above were from 2015 from This place

As for why anyone would want to bite anyone else on this forum, makes me go :? :scratch:

As the mods would say "Play nicely"
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
Argyll
Rating: 7.14%
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
moderator2
UHM Super Moderator

Post by moderator2 »

someone-else wrote:

As the mods would say "Play nicely"
Concur. Play nicely.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

First of all the BBC is not fact. Second of all no one was bragging.

But it's pointless talking to you because in your head it's only your opinion that counts. I must speak to Falkirk Police and explain to them they got it wrong.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

To leave idiocy aside, back to the OP. As I was looking for cat litter I found this https://fetch.co.uk/get-off-my-garden-c ... g-85580011 No idea if it is effective or if it is harmful to wild life if they decide to eat it.

Return to “Gardeners World”