Toughbuilt Folding Saw Horses

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

ahfix

Toughbuilt Folding Saw Horses

Post by ahfix »

Hi,

Has anyone used these folding saw horses? https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Tou ... -Twin-Pack

Any good?

ah
These users thanked the author ahfix for the post:
Argyll
Rating: 7.14%
Argyll

Re: Toughbuilt Folding Saw Horses

Post by Argyll »

I've been after these for a while. Best price I've seen them. Bought :thumbright:
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

Have you received them yet? Perhaps you can do a mini-review?

ah
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

Argyll wrote:Bought :thumbright:
Ha!

Saw this thread yesterday, thought that's a great shout, but as I'm away I won't order yet so it doesn't get dispatched too fast.

Gone down from Argyll's £80 to £76 tonight!

Bought. :thumbleft:
etaf

Post by etaf »

i (average DIYer) have a pair of the C700 purchased from FFX last year
Excellent , used them a lot so far this year.
The C700 were on a special price just before xmas, and I liked the idea of being able to put sheet material onto the legs and cut etc - which I have done now with ease
Only disappointment was that the 4x4/2x4 slots for turning into a table are finished/planned material size, NOT sawn, and I was putting up a gate and posts and had 4x4 sawn posts, which would not fit into the slot as the size id for planned material

I have ordered via FFX and asked to delay the next day delivery by a week, to suite when i was in
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Mine arrived yesterday. They seem good quality. I like the way the fold down as opposed to my existing set that folder upright.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Yes. Unimpressed. Scrapped mine 2 years ago

The problem is that they don't take too kindly to being transported around and the mechanisms, which have loads of screws and bits and pieces in them have a tendency to dismantle themselves (and get lost) - and being American threads and parts they aren't that easy to replace off the shelf (spares in the UK? Hah!). Not good for what is supposedly a portable tradesman's tool. They were good for the first 12 months or so, after that I had to rebuild the darned things repeatedly (with the importer supplu=ying bits on two occasions). I eventually got hacked off with them when they had fallen apart for the umpteenth time and bought a pair (now 4 no) DW trestles which have withstood heavy use very well for more than 3 years - but at over £130/pair so they should
etaf wrote:Only disappointment was that the 4x4/2x4 slots for turning into a table are finished/planned material size, NOT sawn, and I was putting up a gate and posts and had 4x4 sawn posts, which would not fit into the slot as the size id for planned material
Not only won't they work with full size 4 x 2 sawn timber, they won't work with 4 x 2 PAR or even 4 x 2 CLS (90 x 44). In point of fact they are designed for use with undersized American framing softwood which works out at about 85 x 38mm and isn't commonly available in the UK AFAIK. Again, pretty darned useless on what is supposedly a trade tool in the UK (they should have a UK/EU-specific version which will support 4 x 2 CLS IMHO).
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

That's a disappointing read, J&K, for someone who has purchased but yet to receive.

Not too disheartened though, as mine will only get occasional use and will be looked after.

As for the last couple of comments regarding "4x2" timber sizes, in my case I would keep a couple of beams specifically to form the table support, and modify the timbers to fit the slots - I still think they are going to be very useful. The couple of youtube clips I looked at before deciding to order seemed to show cls timber, which will be strong enough for my needs - I will be using 63 x 38 and make a set of packers to bring the tabletop flush with the cross bars.

Or, if I decide to use 4x2 sawn, or 4x2 PSE, I will simply cut chunks out of the beams at strategic points, may be to give me 900/1200/1800 distance between trestles, timber is not that expensive is it, with 18mm ply to suit at 1200/1800/2400 length. A 2400mm long pasting table springs to mind.

And for etaf to say his 700 model doesn't take 4x4 fence posts, is that supposed to be their purpose? A 4x4 would still sit in the slot at a 45° angle for support while working on it, but it's supposed to lay across two trestles, otherwise what are they for.

My great plans are for supporting kitchen worktops whilst mitreing, and doors (using the leg clips) whilst rebating hinges. Making them into a table will be secondary.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Unless the design has been changed they were sized to take US-size scant 4 x 2 framing timbers, which are far smaller than the CLS we ordinarily use for framing in the UK (looks like CLS, but isn't) - no mention of 4 x 4in. The fact that you can't just pick-up timbers on site and use them, instead having to make something up is a big minus for me because I carry enough carp round in the back of the motor as it is.

As I said, though, the biggest downside for me was all the screws and gubbins that fell out quite early on - but bear in mind that I've done a lot of interior fit-out which involves a lot of setting-up, breaking-down and moving about for which I thought an item such as these should be great. They were, for the first 6 months or so, but after that everything started to get sloppy. Hence my move to the DW trestles which are simpler, clip together as pairs for transport (better) and which don't fall apart under intensive use. Mine now sport 4 x 2in top protections with notches cut to take standard CLS.....

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
etaf

Post by etaf »

i saw the dewalt saw horses at the FFX toolshow and thought they were good, although I liked the ability to put a sheet of material on the toughbuilt - same price as the c700 and had i known the above, i would not have puchased

I did have a go about it at the toughbuilt stand, and i have written to toughbuilt C/S and ignored so far , but they did not seem bothered by the fact that the 4x4 & 2x4 is misleading for the UK market.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

etaf wrote:.....i have written to toughbuilt C/S and ignored so far , but they did not seem bothered by the fact that the 4x4 & 2x4 is misleading for the UK market.
That makes two of us, then. When I talked to them they quite frankly didn't see what the issue was :roll:

Liam2349

Post by Liam2349 »

Interesting. I thought these looked very tough, but I guess all the screws and moving parts could be a weakness.

The flaps for holding material seem cool, and the folding could make them easier to store for some people vs. flat folding saw horses.

I personally went for a FatMax set, very similar to the ones Chez reviewed. Mine has slightly different colours.

Interestingly, they're rated for the 300lb more than these these steel ToughBuilt ones, yet the FatMax is largely plastic.
etaf

Post by etaf »

Did they arrive & how are you getting on with them ?
Simple DIYer
Wayne
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

Who are you asking?

I got mine, haven't had occasion to use them in earnest yet, except to say that following j&k's comment I checked, only quickly, and an offcut off 4x2 PSE (44x94mm is it?) fitted in the slot though stood a little proud.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

I haven't used mine yet. Actually I forgot about them.

Return to “Tool Talk”