All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Berry Bean
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Communal Drain Along Footings

Post by Berry Bean »

Hi, I've dug out the footings for a single story extension in the back garden and discovered a communal drainage pipe that runs across all the back gardens on the street. The building inspector has told me I don't need to move it but has asked me to dig around it and to box it off with lintels. When I asked how they weren't very clear. I'm sure this must be common but I'm not sure how to proceed, normal lintels aren't wide enough to cover the pipe (130mm). The footing are actually lower than the photos show, about level with the pipe.
Could I box it off and pour the concrete around it?
Attachments
IMG_1606.JPG
IMG_1606.JPG (121.25 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
IMG_1605.JPG
IMG_1605.JPG (113.13 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
IMG_1604.JPG
IMG_1604.JPG (99.3 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
IMG_1603.JPG
IMG_1603.JPG (94.98 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
darrenba

Re: Communal Drain Along Footings

Post by darrenba »

As it's a communal sewer you need to speak to your local water board and get a build over agreement from them. They will tell you what you will be required to do.
Berry Bean
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Berry Bean »

Hi Darren,
Thanks for the reply. Spoke to the water board on advice from the inspector. There happy with the inspectors recommendations (due to diameter and length of the pipe). I don't think it's sewerage as only my guttering ran in to it, apparently it was quite common 40 years ago.
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

Seperately, when they say bridge with lintels they mean buy long lintels then cut them up with a disc cutter into shorter lengths laid sideways.... my builder did this to bridge over a 110 soil pipe running across a footing under a single skin wall, leaving me with a 600mm lump of concrete no good for anything else.
cotswold builders
BANNED

Post by cotswold builders »

Your bco has either not seen the pipe or he's a fool, you can't build over the pipe as its part of a section serving others, obviously the water board board haven't seen it as they have been misinformed.
The pipe is running the length of the footing and not crossing it, so you either reduce the size of extension, footings need to be well below invert levels.
Another possibility is divert the pipe with manholes at each change of direction, maybe rodding eyes, or need passing with w/b
If the pipes were going across the foundations then they could have been linteled over or wrapped in compressible material.

Return to “Building Forum”