Servisol Super 10 Switch Cleaner and guitar amp Question?.

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

saltyseadog
Newly registered Member

Servisol Super 10 Switch Cleaner and guitar amp Question?.

Post by saltyseadog »

Hello, I am almost finished building a pine tweed covered cabinet for my Fender Bluesjunior 15W guitar amplifier. As the new cab is finished prior to applying the tweed cloth I have been getting the box ready to refit the parts and test it out. The amplifier and reverb tank have been in a cupboard since I stripped them out of the old chipboard cabinet and when I took them out I thought I would use some Servisol Super 10 switch cleaning lubricant on the amp section to give it a good clean. However this has left an oily type residue on all the sprayed surfaces and I am unsure whether I have made a mistake. Could any of you electricians advise me on this as I don't want to risk blowing my amp up and/or electrocuting myself?. Many thanks in advance for any advice offered.
aeromech3

Re: Servisol Super 10 Switch Cleaner and guitar amp Question

Post by aeromech3 »

Well the film is conductive so if it is trapped between say printed circuit solder joints, it might cause a short circuit.
Recommended removal with AeroKlene 50.
These users thanked the author aeromech3 for the post:
saltyseadog
Rating: 7.14%
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Clean the sw cleaner off with some IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and a brush leave it for a few hours to evaporate off fully
These users thanked the author Bob225 for the post:
saltyseadog
saltyseadog
Newly registered Member

Post by saltyseadog »

Thanks for the replies guys, would methylated spirits do the same as IPA as I have that at hand for mixing shellac?.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

No not really as contains other chemicals inc ethanol and acetone
These users thanked the author Bob225 for the post:
saltyseadog
saltyseadog
Newly registered Member

Post by saltyseadog »

aeromech3 wrote:Well the film is conductive so if it is trapped between say printed circuit solder joints, it might cause a short circuit.
Recommended removal with AeroKlene 50.
Thanks for the reply, any idea which stores would stock this, I think I bought the Super 10 switch cleaner at Wilkinsons but cannot find Aeroklene 50 at their online site?.
jaeger

Post by jaeger »

Superservisol 10 isn't conductive, it's used as a switch cleaner lubricant, so if it was there would be a BIG problem.
Worst that'll happen is it'll attract potentially conductive dust and become a bit of a mess
These users thanked the author jaeger for the post:
saltyseadog
saltyseadog
Newly registered Member

Post by saltyseadog »

I was up looking at the amp section again a short while ago and it appears to have dried up. I have used Servisol Super 10 lots of times over the years cleaning dirty guitar pots/switches without any problems but posted here because I had deliberately removed the valves and cleaned out the sockets as well as the outer shell of the transformer which is why I thought to post here. You are saying that I shouldn't have any problems?.
These users thanked the author saltyseadog for the post:
jaeger
jaeger

Post by jaeger »

Cleaning the valve sockets wont harm them neither will spraying the transformers, just be a mess and attract dirt.
As an Ex service engineer I've seen the stuff sprayed over complete boards with no ill effect.
You can clean it off with meths which is denatured alcohol the problem that causes is taking off things
you don't want taking off, like decals (lettering) if you go bonkers with it, suddenly find all that nice silk screen printing gone
on the controls....
saltyseadog
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Personally I would not use meth's as it contains other chemicals that may react with the components and/or pcb over time, That's why I said use IPA - most chemists sell it as rubbing alcohol - you can get it from RS with free postage, amazon or ebay

ex tv and video engineer, repair and refurb just for fun these days - anything from 30-40 year old game consoles to Roland keyboards and the odd 50" lcd
aeromech3

Post by aeromech3 »

jaeger wrote:Superservisol 10 isn't conductive, it's used as a switch cleaner lubricant, so if it was there would be a BIG problem.
Worst that'll happen is it'll attract potentially conductive dust and become a bit of a mess
Added the Tech data to clarify that it is a protective conductive film.

Jaeger the supplier Co. called Farnell (CPC) stocks AeroKlene but sets you back about £10 for one tin when the product advice from Bob225 is cheaper.
Attachments
serviceol.pdf
(58.33 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
jaeger

Post by jaeger »

aeromech3 wrote:
jaeger wrote:Superservisol 10 isn't conductive, it's used as a switch cleaner lubricant, so if it was there would be a BIG problem.
Added the Tech data to clarify that it is a protective conductive film.

Jaeger the supplier Co. called Farnell (CPC) stocks AeroKlene but sets you back about £10 for one tin when the product advice from Bob225 is cheaper.
I think someone has mistyped that - for a switch cleaner to leave a conductive film would cause many problems,
can you imagine spraying contacts and switches with a conductive substance! Besides, I've used this product professionally
and I've never seen it conduct, even in tuner units. Aeroclean or IPA, denature alcohol will work too

EDIT: As a test, I've sprayed servisol 10 on a pcb and some paper, even when wet it reads >50 meg ohms and the same dry.
saltyseadog
saltyseadog
Newly registered Member

Post by saltyseadog »

Well I took Jaegers advice. Never used anything put it all back together and started up the amp this morning and not a problem it works perfectly not a snap, crackle, pop or a creak to hear. So mark it up as problem solved and Jaeger had it right.

Return to “Electric Forum UK”