paint showing through

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

DCOL89
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

paint showing through

Post by DCOL89 »

Hello, hoping that someone can help, I am currently redoing our room and painted the ceiling with Zinsser perma white, however I got some on the wall. I have put on a first coat or dulux easycare paint and this spot of perma white paint is really showing through, it looks shiny. Is there any way to resolve this? Thanks
toolbox

Re: paint showing through

Post by toolbox »

A couple of extra coats over the affected areas with brush or roller whatever you used on the wall and another over all coat should sort it. :thumbleft:

It's called flashing zinsser primers are known for it, very good products but can show through due to their smooth texture and very white finish.
Croker

Post by Croker »

I have just logged in on here tonight to start a topic on this very subject!

Have been painting a room in a customer's house today and decided to go the extra mile and properly cover up some marks on the wall rather than just sloshing on a load of emulsion.

First I spot primed using Zinsser Cover Stain then once dry blended over this with matt finish Perma-White. When this was dry I confidently went over this with magnolia emulsion and was both surprised and disappointed at just how much the affected areas were 'shining' through the emulsion.

Had this once before after using Zinsser BIN as a spot primer with emulsion over the top. On that occasion I emailed Zinsser's technical support to ask where I'd gone wrong; to their credit they replied very promptly and advised that Cover Stain plus Perma-White would have been more appropriate. Fair enough I thought, I'll remember that for future reference... fast forward to today (hence my misplaced confidence) and, well, see above... exactly the same result!

I'm generally a fan of Zinsser's products and have used both BIN and Bullseye 123 to good effect on other applications and am happy to accept that it's me at fault rather than the products Still pretty new to all this and very keen to learn.

Any advice on how I can achieve better results covering minor blemishes prior to emulsioning?

Any help / tips / advice will be much appreciated :salute: Thanks

EDIT... forgot to mention as well, this was the first time I've tried out Perma-White and the matt finish doesn't really seem all that matt either, perhaps not helping the top coat 'stick'to it? Has anyone else had experience of this?
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

I regularly use Cover Stain to spot-prime stains and marks. The Cover Stain almost always shows through after the first coat of emulsion but rarely after the second coat. When I first used Cover Stain I used to put it on too thickly and it tended to show through the final coat more often. I also found it showing through if I used a (customer-purchased) cheaper emulsion.

Recently I have been using Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 Plus as my preferred stain blocker. I had some left over after coating a post-fire heavily soot-streaked ceiling with it (on which it did a superb job). I think it is even better than Cover Stain for spot-priming as it is water-based and thinner so there is less tendency to put it on too thickly.
These users thanked the author Tom d'Angler for the post:
Croker
Rating: 7.14%
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

As said a couple of extra coats over the area before final top coating usually sorts it out, I prefer 123 myself for most general jobs.
These users thanked the author toolbox for the post:
Croker
Croker

Post by Croker »

Many thanks for your replies Tom and toolbox, very helpful.

Went back into the same room today (as luck would have it I'll be at the same house for a while as there's loads of jobs to do)… anyway after yesterday's disappointment I went home feeling a bit flat, but this morning went in afresh, the sun was shining and lo & behold the awful looking patches I left behind yesterday have dried out really nicely and only need another quick coat of emulsion to finish the job!

So... with your help on here I have learned the following from this experience:

1) Use Bullseye 123 as a stain blocker for spot priming under emulsion, try not to put it on too thick and leave a good couple of hours to dry
2) If it shows through the top coat immediately don't panic, leave the emulsion plenty of time to dry and re-apply another coat
3) Don't do what I did in desperation and keep putting more and more emulsion when it hasn't dried properly, it just makes matters worse!
4) Ideally leave overnight and re-assess the next day, likely as not it will all look a whole lot better

Thanks again for your advice, I really do feel much better now as this is obviously a problem that will occur time and time again
These users thanked the author Croker for the post:
Tom d'Angler
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

1) Use Bullseye 123 as a stain blocker for spot priming under emulsion, try not to put it on too thick and leave a good couple of hours to dry
Bulls Eye 123 Plus

2) to 4) - yes, spot on.
These users thanked the author Tom d'Angler for the post:
Croker
Croker

Post by Croker »

Once again, thanks Tom :thumbright:

The plot thickens; had no idea there was such a thing as Bulls Eye 123 Plus!

I have a little book at home, the Zinsser Range Guide picked up from my local stockist a few months ago. It's been very useful but strangely there is no mention of 123 Plus in it (just the standard 123 in the blue tin).

On further research it seems that 123 Plus has been around for number of years now so no idea why it isn't in my book :scratch:

Anyway... what's the diifference between the two? Is the Plus just a development of the 'standard' 123 and designed for use in the same applications? Or is there more to it than that? Sorry for all the additional questions!

Cheers
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

Sorry Croker, I have only just seen your reply and question...
what's the diifference between the two?
I'm not sure of the technical differences but I understand the Plus version has better stain-blocking qualities. :scratch:
Croker

Post by Croker »

No worries Tom, thanks for replying.

Think I'll track down and buy some 123 Plus and find out for myself! Cheers :salute:
These users thanked the author Croker for the post:
Tom d'Angler
gc1967

Post by gc1967 »

The newish kid on the block - Blockade made by Smith and Rodger, so much easier to apply than Zinserr and far less smell and nearly everyone who have used it and left reviews on twitter say its the best on the market - I have bought some I have 30 sides of glossed varnished doors to transform to white gloss. :cheers:
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

I have bought some I have 30 sides of glossed varnished doors to transform to white gloss.
Could be worse... could be three flights of varnished stair woodwork to paint :lol:
gc1967

Post by gc1967 »

Tom d'Angler wrote:
I have bought some I have 30 sides of glossed varnished doors to transform to white gloss.
Could be worse... could be three flights of varnished stair woodwork to paint :lol:
Yes there is always some job that could be worse :-)

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”