Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

jonnycc
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Wardrobe Build - which Mdf

Post by jonnycc »

Hi guys,

First post on here - but have been using the advice for a little while. What a great forum.

I’ve built several bespoke wardrobes before in my house out of ply. I’m about to undertake a project for a friend who wants them finished in white. My plan was to stick to plywood carcasses (seeing as I know that material and it’s strong and nice to work with) and use Mdf doors and end / top / filler peices scribed into the walls.

I’ve read several threads that suggest MR Mdf is better for this sort of stuff than regular MDF. However I’ve also read online about pre-primed MDF. Haven’t seen a lot of people talking about this stuff on here though.

Is the primed stuff any good? I’m thinking it would save some time on the painting which is the part of the job I will least enjoy!

Also any advice on weather I should paint before assembly or after?

Many thanks for the help!

Jonny
ahfix

Re: Wardrobe Build - which Mdf

Post by ahfix »

I've heard that MR will give you a better finish when painting. Also use Zinsser BIN to prime the sheets first, checkout this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YOASvodntU

I think it is easier to paint the panels before assembling, but if you intend to glue the final unit together you might need to leave a gap of unfinished timber for the glue to adhere to.

ah
jonnycc
Newly registered Member

Post by jonnycc »

thanks Ahfix. I'll definitely use that Zinsser stuff then. No idea if this preprimed stuff is worth a shot?
thanks,
Jonny
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

jonnycc wrote:I’ve read several threads that suggest MR Mdf is better for this sort of stuff than regular MDF. However I’ve also read online about pre-primed MDF. Haven’t seen a lot of people talking about this stuff on here though.
AFAIK the pre-primed stuff tends to be aimed at the fitting trade where it can save time to install boa5rding which has already been primed, e.g. in shop window displays, cladded walls, etc. On site it can save time, although edges (the most awkward bit to deal with) will still need to be primed (twice or more times). It is often ordinary MDF, though, not the MR variety, and MR will give you a far better edge finish with crisper corner or moulding details. The main reason for using it is often that it saves one step for the decorators, who are always last on the job with the least time to get their job done
jonnycc wrote:Also any advice on weather I should paint before assembly or after?
Make, dry assemble and adjust, dismantle, paint, install
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
jonnycc
Newly registered Member

Post by jonnycc »

Thanks for the brilliant and detailed advice! I will stick to the MR stuff.

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”