Sloped & tiled Window Cill uPVC quandry

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

stripee
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Sloped & tiled Window Cill uPVC quandry

Post by stripee »

Need some advice on our options. I know I'm overthinking this, but as we'll be looking at our decision for the next 10-20 years, and it won't be easy to change after they've been installed, I feel it's important to get it right. Plus I'm trying to explain and show to my wife what our options are and surprisingly google images has failed me! Maybe I'm not searching for the right terms...

We will shortly be replacing our 20+ year old plus pvc windows in our 50's ish ex council house. The window frames sit on traditional tiled SLOPED external angled cills (look like an old quarry tile). The original frames would have been wooden and their lower profile would have meant they finished right at the top (or "end") of the tiles. The previous PVC windows had drainage holes in the frames and covers which I would prefer not to use as these are "busy" and over time discolour. They were installed using trim strips underneath between the frame and the cill, which were sealed on to the cill and to the frame above.

We've been advised by the window company surveyor that our options are:

+ do the same as we had - but we want to avoid the drainage holes if possible.
+ have a short 15mm stub cill (with hidden drainage under it), which is sealed underneath right in the "pointy bit" above the tiled cill. My worry is that the stub cill creates a visible shadow under the cill which is quite obvious
+ stub cill with pointing. I think this might reduce the shadow, but I can't visualise how a line of pointing under a cill might look aesthetically
+ stub cill with trim strips, but because of the sloped cill, these would have to be deeper than we had before, so could become quite a "feature"
Attachments
options if i've understood correctly
options if i've understood correctly
options if i've understood correctly.jpg (80.59 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
trim removed
trim removed
trim removed.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 1149 times
trim in place
trim in place
trim in place.png (891.17 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
closeup
closeup
cill close up.png (1.36 MiB) Viewed 1149 times
dewaltdisney

Re: Sloped & tiled Window Cill uPVC quandry

Post by dewaltdisney »

A fourth option is to chop out the tiles and make up the level with a row of bricks. Then conventional window and cill fit. The hardest thing is matching the bricks up but they are quite a common colour. Laying a batch in the garden face up to weather might work.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
stripee
Rating: 7.14%
stripee
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sloped & tiled Window Cill uPVC quandry

Post by stripee »

dewaltdisney wrote:A fourth option is to chop out the tiles and make up the level with a row of bricks. Then conventional window and cill fit. The hardest thing is matching the bricks up but they are quite a common colour. Laying a batch in the garden face up to weather might work.

DWD
thanks, strangely that's what the neighbour's have done, but not the prettiest bricklaying or matching. I actually quite like the tiles.

What about pushing the window frame further back inside the house so that it finishes at the top of the sloped external cill? Would that work?

Return to “General DIY forum”