Multi-way light switching

All electrical lighting questions in here please. Including outside lighting and light switch / dimmer questions.

Moderator: Moderators

jaeger

Multi-way light switching

Post by jaeger »

Thought this might be of interest, there always seems to be queries about light switching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYFVsUqY6zc
ericmark

Re: Multi-way light switching

Post by ericmark »

I found the USA terms odd, to me two way means the switch can switch between two supplies i.e. red lamp or green lamp. Although same switch can be used to control one light from two switches.

Three way means can do any of three functions i.e. red amber green lamps, for a flick switch this would need a centre position.

Change over switch often used to to swap direction of a motor, often with a centre off, however for lights often called an intermediate switch. Does seem odd two way switch so called because of what it does, and intermediate named for it's position in the circuit.

I prefer the use of L1 and L2 permanent line and line to bulb, with com just connected between the two switches as this is the same when the switch has a S terminal and uses electronics for slave to tell master what to do.
Someone-Else

Re: Multi-way light switching

Post by Someone-Else »

The thing for me about that video is that it is a "how it works" diagram, not "How it's wired" diagram, and so is little use to most folk.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)

Return to “Lighting”