Sound deadening plasterboards any good?

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

Dibbley247
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Sound deadening plasterboards any good?

Post by Dibbley247 »

I'm planning what i need to do for my basement, and would like to soundproof a couple of walls, and the ceiling which goes to the living room above.

I found some Knauf soundsheild plus SE 12mm plaster board for £14 (2.4 x 1.2m)
Is this stuff any good? Or is it better to have 2 layers of normal plaster board? (works out the same price, but not sure of two normal boards would perform better)

the boards will have insulation behind them as i'll have battens off the wall, not to sure on the ceiling yet, if it's worth insulating between the joists?

I'm open to any other methods.

Thanks
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: Sound deadening plasterboards any good?

Post by Job and Knock »

Dibbley247 wrote:I found some Knauf soundsheild plus SE 12mm plaster board for £14 (2.4 x 1.2m)
Is this stuff any good? Or is it better to have 2 layers of normal plaster board? (works out the same price, but not sure of two normal boards would perform better)
Six of one - half a dozen of the other. Personally I'd go g]for a single layer of soundbloc these days - less work to install, less weight to carry on the joists, etc. Note that you need to make the very mimimum number of cuts in the boards and that all the joints need to be bang-on (no gaps). It is therefore advisable to check the joints for straightness and correct as necessary
Dibbley247 wrote:the boards will have insulation behind them as i'll have battens off the wall, not to sure on the ceiling yet, if it's worth insulating between the joists?
For maximum effect use instead something like a Gyplyner metal framing system (often cheaper than timber framing) with a small airspace behind it (between it and the wall) and bed it onto an acoustic bedding material (tape/silicon). The performance of ceilings can be greatly improved by mounting the boards onto a resilient bar system rather than timber battening. The idea is always to remove the number of points at which sound vibration can be directly transferred between components of the building. Should you use between joist insulation, go for something like mineral wool batting and cut it so that it is slightly tight. This may require a tool such as the Stubai insulation knife, which will make a neater cut and generate a lot less dust although a mask, goggles and Marigolds are still very advisable
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
getthewheelsinline

Post by getthewheelsinline »

Or you go go acoustic insulation between joists then two plasterboard sheets with a acoustic mat (2mm) sandwiched between.

Amazon sell it....

Advanced Acoustics Soundproofing Mat 3m by 1.25m by 2mm thin https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BSBMFBM/ ... zCbPDY01R0
Dibbley247
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dibbley247 »

Thanks.

I'll have a look into these this evening.

Much appreciated

Return to “General DIY forum”