Laundry Cupboard

Questions about fitting kitchens in here please

Moderator: Moderators

_Paul
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Laundry Cupboard

Post by _Paul »

Hello, I am new to the site and was hoping that someone may be able to give me some advice.

We are having our garage converted into a laundry/dog room. The idea is to house a number of our appliances within this room, but keeping the room as tidy as possible. We were thinking about a custom made floor to ceiling height cupboard to house 2 washing machines, tumble dryer and freezer, with the tumble dryer and freezer to be on top of the washing machines. The cupboard would have a solid frame to hold the freezer above the washing machine and not on top of it. The cupboard would have doors, so that everything could be hidden away.

Is this idea even feasible? I'm not sure what ventilation requirements etc I need. The room itself is having an extractor fan installed as it is a laundry room of sorts.

Many thanks for any advice you can give us.

Paul
Someone-Else

Re: Laundry Cupboard

Post by Someone-Else »

Bad idea.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

2 washing machines?
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

someone-else wrote:Bad idea.
Personally, IMHO, I don't see an issue, as long as......

The framework is substantial - to take the weight of a fully loaded freezer, off the appliance below it;
Sounds like you have plenty of space, so build it larger than the normal kitchen unit sizes (600 w x 570 d);
Given that, allow plenty of space for air movement/ventilation/vibration of machines;

Is this a condensing tumble dryer or does it need its own vent hose? Have you thought of this?

If both washing machines will run together at the same time (assume that it may happen), is the drainage up to it? Run 40mm wastes combined into 50mm? My principle is to always "over-engineer".

Whilst it won't come to overload, work out the potential maximum power consumption of all four appliances, and put the appliance fcu's on seperate circuits at the distribution board.
Last edited by arco_iris on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author arco_iris for the post:
_Paul
Rating: 7.14%
_Paul
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by _Paul »

Hello,

Yes, we have two washing machines. I realise it rather unusual, but we have three dogs and keep one solely to wash dog stuff and the other for our family stuff. We seem to replace the dog machine frequently due to all the hair, which is reason why we don't want to buy integrated appliances.

Thank you arco_iris for your helpful advice. We currently have a condensing tumble dryer, but the roof above the cupboard is a small loft space, so i have the potential to vent a normal dryer if needs be. Whatever opinion i decide, i never considered the large pipes for the drainage. Thanks for the advice.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Ahh that makes sense. After posting I thought maybe you did a particularly mucky job that warranted a separate machine.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Freezer wise buy a Beko. good down to minus 15 celsius, (assuming the garage is not insulated) you'll probably need 3 separate radials from your CU , 1 to each of the washing machines and 1 to the tumble dryer.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk

Return to “Kitchen Fitting”