Ancestry DNA

This forum is for topics or posts that do not fit into any other forum, this includes online games such as word Association etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: Ancestry DNA

Post by Job and Knock »

dewaltdisney wrote: Just think if the Nazi's had access to this technology back in 1930's there would have been a lot more people that could have be persecuted.

In countries like the Netherlands where everyone had to register with the local council, and the form also included your next of kin, birthplace and your religion, they didn't really need DNA...... A bit like those ID cards that Labour wanted us all to have (and pay £80 for) a few years back
kellys_eye wrote:I'd declare myself to be paranoid over such issues but when you add up all the 1984-esque things that have actually come to pass you find that it's less paranoia than simple self preservation.
Which is precisely why I would touch this with a barge pole. Far too many aspects of Orwell's dystopian future have indeed come to pass i the last 40 years - and in any case I distrust politicians, and I'm also a bit paranoid (either that or they really are out to get me)
54aardvark wrote:I wonder how long it will be before you have to take a DNA test when applying for life insurance/loan/mortgage/job.........
I have no doubt that if they thought they could get away with it certain large corporations would have already have implemented this Gattaca-like approach to employee selection
Nos wrote:...but DNA has eliminated suspects from criminal acts, as well as convict
It has also been used to wrongly convict on a number of occasions on the grounds that it is infallible. It may be, but the way that evidence is interpreted is down to a human being, and they are very fallible indeed. It is, though, like fingerprints (another even more flawed technology) being used as primary evidence when it was only ever meant to be corroborative of other more tangible sources
Dave54 wrote:I always ask, "What's in it for them?"
Ask yourself a question. Where is the data stored, and why? Answer: the data is stored in the USA, where our Data Protection laws don't apply, and by buying this kit you are signing-away your rights to control your own DNA (read the small print), so they can sell data to whosoever they please.

I like one comment in the article I linked to: "In short: if you really want to spend your cash to discover that you are descended from Vikings (spoiler: if you have European ancestry, you are) or you have blue eyes (try a mirror), go ahead. But be aware of what you are really giving up, and consider the potential risks if things go wrong."
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Nos

Post by Nos »

As I said before you are free not to take the test, unless the old bill pick you up for something, so whats the fear? The uk authority's know more about you than you think, they can trace your every move, by CCTV, and more importantly by electronic use of machines, anywhere you have to pay for something, or gain access, with any type of card or paper, leaves an electronic signature, which can be traced. Here in France they still use cheque's :roll: a lot, which in a supermarket slows it all down to more sedate pace of life :lol:
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Nos wrote:Here in France they still use cheque's :roll: a lot, which in a supermarket slows it all down to more sedate pace of life :lol:
And there was me thinking it was the yellow jackets who were slowing down the pace of life....
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

I seem to remember a "proper" genetic scientist/gene research chap saying that these tests were basically Bunkum on some TV programme a couple of years back.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk

Return to “The Lounge”