All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

SteveJB
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

New paslode nail gun question

Post by SteveJB »

Morning all,

Looking at getting IM360 1st fix gun, but my question is can I use 350 style clipped nails and the 350 gas in the new gun.

Don't seem to be able to find any info.

Thanks

Steve
getthewheelsinline

Re: New paslode nail gun question

Post by getthewheelsinline »

Gas - no.

Nails - unsure of the question.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

The IM350+ and IM360ci use different nails. The IM360ci uses a full head nail whereas the IM350 uses the old IM90 style clipped-head nails. The 360 nails are supposed to be cheaper (from Paslode), but they certainly aren't as widely available. That's because you don't need to buy Paslode nails for the IM90/IM350 guns - because everyone and their dog's nail guns use the same style n as the IM90 and therefore loads of alternative (cheaper) nails are available out there
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
D4np
Newly registered Member

Post by D4np »

Im350 DOES fire the im360 round head nails . I opted for the im350+ lithium ion battery system as a upgrade instead of the 360 because you can get after market cheaper nails and gas for the 350 and with the 360 you have to pay paslodes hefty prices !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D4np
Newly registered Member

Post by D4np »

D4np wrote:Im350 DOES fire the im360 round head nails . I opted for the im350+ lithium ion battery system as a upgrade instead of the 360 because you can get after market cheaper nails and gas for the 350 and with the 360 you have to pay paslodes hefty prices !

And to add to this , the gas is completely different for the 360 so you cannot use 350 gas in the 360 or vice Versa thus meaning that if you can’t use the gas then even if the clipped nails do work in the 360 you would have no gas to fire them [emoji51]

Whatever you do ... DONT BUY THE GASLESS DEWALT 1st FIX GUN .. it’s awful - it’s currently kicking around in my shed some where

Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

D4np wrote:Im350 DOES fire the im360 round head nails
But the 360 won't fire 350 (or after market) nails. Pretty sure that Paslode did that, and the oddball gas, to lock competitors out of the market
D4np wrote:
D4np wrote:Whatever you do ... DONT BUY THE GASLESS DEWALT 1st FIX GUN .. it’s awful - it’s currently kicking around in my shed some where
Single speed or two speed? I agree that the single speed is pretty ropey. The two speed is far better - and unlike the IM350 it won't constantly overheat and jam if you are doing jobs like close-nailing flooring (where you put hundreds of nails into a sheet at 100mm centres, but over an entire floor). We had two brand new IM350 guns supplied FoC on a job two years ago where the Paslodes continually overheated after about 20 to 30 minutes constant use. The old Senco GT90CH gun, the IM90 and the DCN692 we had on the job didn't fail once
Last edited by Job and Knock on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
D4np
Newly registered Member

Post by D4np »

I wasn’t aware they did a single speed ? I brought mine as soon as they came out and it has single shot and bump on it . Was it brand new when you used it ? I would imagine brand new and only nailing down on the floor it would be good - you try using the thing In a roof ! So awkward , heavy and cumbersome. Because your not allowed to clean them then they soon start playing up if they get a bit wet or dusty . I’m having the same issue with dcn660 - the best tool going for the first couple of days but then not being able to clean them really doesn’t help

D4np
Newly registered Member

Post by D4np »

Job and Knock wrote:
D4np wrote:
D4np wrote:Whatever you do ... DONT BUY THE GASLESS DEWALT 1st FIX GUN .. it’s awful - it’s currently kicking around in my shed some where
Single speed or two speed? I agree that the single speed is pretty ropey. The two speed is far better - and unlike the IM350 it won't constantly overheat and jam if you are doing jobs like close-nailing flooring (where you put hundreds of nails into a sheet at 100mm centres, but over an entire floor).

Paslode jamming ? Never heard any one say that before .. I own both .. dewalt is forever jamming - not enough power unfortunately IMO. The pin would always get stuck out aswel . The only good thing about buying the dewalt was when I had it - it stopped working so I sent it back in the box with no batteries and they sent me a replacement with 2 batteries and a charger .

Also nailing at 100mm centres ?! How often would you get a job to do that ? What type of flooring were you using ?

D4np
Newly registered Member

Post by D4np »

The motor takes a while to reach full speed so it isn’t instant like paslode . A bit like Diesel and petrol.

Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

I've had a DCN692 for about 3 years now, the two speed model. They have a running in period where they don't give full power (about 1000 to 2000 nails). After that they seem to run OK, although there is a knack of getting in-sync with the thing when you are bump nailing. I don't do roofing work these days - or at least not in the rain, but I know the earlier guns didn't like ingesting dust (so you learned not to lie them down in muck). Yes I agree they are heavy, but put them side by side with an IM90 or a GT90CH and there's little difference in size. The biggest plus so far as i was concerned is that they don't use gas. You can clean them - but you mustn't oil them.

My DCN660 has been fine on softwoods and MDF - but it can't handle denser hardwoods like mahogany or sapele. TBH after 2-1/2 years I think I'd have been happier keeping my old DC618 (first generation gun) or maybe waiting for the air-over-battery guns (Ryobi/Milwaukee/Hitachi) to mature.
D4np wrote:The motor takes a while to reach full speed so it isn’t instant like paslode . A bit like Diesel and petrol.
You should have had a Saab Turbo in the early 1980s - the lag on those was immense, but you could learn to cope with it. Some people never could. Just like the DW guns. Not to everyone's taste

D4np
Newly registered Member

Post by D4np »

Maybe they have improved the newer guns now then ? I know they release different TYPES - mine says type 1 , maybe yours is different ? Think it says on the magazine ?

D4np
Newly registered Member

Post by D4np »

I carry out all the maintainence on my paslode so the cleaning / servicing isn’t a issue , I use my im350 pretty much weekly or one of my lads will ( if I’m 2nd fixing) - timber framing jobs , joists flooring , roofs . Not sure what work you mainly do ? But keeping the dewalt away from dust and a bit of rain water is IMPOSSIBLE . I’m sure if you only used now and again the dewalt would be fine but it can’t handle being used day in day out . There was 7 of us who brought the dewalt 1st fix when it came out (I remember we were so excited by the potential !) and none of us still use it . We all agree it was close ‘to replacing gas’ but think that’s a way off yet .

Let’s not get confused , I’m not getting paid or anything silly by paslode ( unless anyone from paslode is interested in the idea haha) this is just from my experience as someone who uses 1st fix guns DAY-IN-DAYOUT
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

D4np wrote:I’m sure if you only used now and again the dewalt would be fine but it can’t handle being used day in day out.
Well I don't do timber framed house building or roofing (mainly listeds/commercial/fit-out) - so my usage tends to be a few months of intense use followed by a few months of other works when the gun doesn't get touched. Same goes for the second fix guns. I've found that the contamination issue has to do with people laying the gun down on its' side (where the ventilation holes are) in the crap rather than hanging it on the hook or sitting it on the battery. That and guys giving the gun a squirt of WD40 to lubricate it. I've field stripped quite a few of the older (1st generation) DW guns to deal with those problems. Wouldn't know about using any guns out in the rain, though, because it doesn't occur that much on commercial sites (they tend to be a bit more H&S wary than to allow you to work on a roof or cladding in the rain unless the pressure is really on), and floor nailing is a dry pursuit. In fact can only recall having to work out in the rain with a nailer maybe 5 or 6 times in as many years. The example quoted on the IM350 was very real for us - having to revert to the older IM90, etc wasn't what we wanted, however even the replacement guns were no better on the overheating front than the first pair. In the end the dealer suggested that what we needed was pneumatic guns...... All we did was go back to using our own guns rather than the firm's
D4np wrote:There was 7 of us who brought the dewalt 1st fix when it came out
That's the problem, "when they first came out" to me means that you bought the single speed DCN690. Which is the gun that everyone universally hated. I heard of there being issues with them and decided to wait a year or so. DW must have known that there were issues because a year or more after the original came out up popped the DCN692. That has turned out to be a far better tool. The DCN690 was dropped quite a while back
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
D4np
Rating: 7.14%

fin

Post by fin »

ive got the makita gun. its alreeeet like. paslode would be better like.

i was also a tester for the original dewalt first fix gun when they came out. i had mine 6 months before they appeared and used it on a couple of roofing jobs. first one conked out and i think it was replaced. then that one stopped firing properly. it was taken and repaired by dewalt shortly before the guns were brought out but it seemed very quick that dewalt then bought out the upgraded model. maybe they learnt from the failed tester guns.

my dcn690 is permanently set to bump fire mode which seems to work better, since then it never missed a beat though it doesnt get intense use its more used for a few weeks then a few months off the same as j&k

ive not had to strip mine to clean it out. but the makita has been stripped and rebuilt several times
D4np
Newly registered Member

Post by D4np »

Job and Knock wrote:
D4np wrote:I’m sure if you only used now and again the dewalt would be fine but it can’t handle being used day in day out.
Well I don't do timber framed house building or roofing (mainly listeds/commercial/fit-out) - so my usage tends to be a few months of intense use followed by a few months of other works when the gun doesn't get touched. Same goes for the second fix guns. I've found that the contamination issue has to do with people laying the gun down on its' side (where the ventilation holes are) in the crap rather than hanging it on the hook or sitting it on the battery. That and guys giving the gun a squirt of WD40 to lubricate it. I've field stripped quite a few of the older (1st generation) DW guns to deal with those problems. Wouldn't know about using any guns out in the rain, though, because it doesn't occur that much on commercial sites (they tend to be a bit more H&S wary than to allow you to work on a roof or cladding in the rain unless the pressure is really on), and floor nailing is a dry pursuit. In fact can only recall having to work out in the rain with a nailer maybe 5 or 6 times in as many years. The example quoted on the IM350 was very real for us - having to revert to the older IM90, etc wasn't what we wanted, however even the replacement guns were no better on the overheating front than the first pair. In the end the dealer suggested that what we needed was pneumatic guns...... All we did was go back to using our own guns rather than the firm's
D4np wrote:There was 7 of us who brought the dewalt 1st fix when it came out
That's the problem, "when they first came out" to me means that you bought the single speed DCN690. Which is the gun that everyone universally hated. I heard of there being issues with them and decided to wait a year or so. DW must have known that there were issues because a year or more after the original came out up popped the DCN692. That has turned out to be a far better tool. The DCN690 was dropped quite a while back
Yes mine is definitely 690 gonna have a look on the net to see what the differences are with the 692 . Like you say about storing the gun whilst not in use - I found it was awkward because you can’t lay it upside like the paslode because the anti jam switch was on top so it would fall over

Return to “Tool Talk”