Fault on electronic garage up and over door

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Lancastrian6

Fault on electronic garage up and over door

Post by Lancastrian6 »

We have had an electronically operated up and over double garage door operated by a push button to the electrics in the garage and also by a hand held remote control
I backed the car out this morning but when I pressed the Remote to close it the door went down as usual but when it reached closing point it backed up for about one to two feet
I also tried the push button in the garage but that was the same
I checked and there wasn’t anything in the way to cause the door to back off so I tried several times but the result was always the same it backed off closing and went up again by a foot or so
The door was professionally installed over 20 years ago
A couple of years we had a fault and a professional replaced the unit in the garage and the remote control
Anybody got any idea as to what may be going wrong
arco_iris

Re: Fault on electronic garage up and over door

Post by arco_iris »

Is it a door that has sensor beams across the closure, to prevent fouling obstacles, and one of the eyes has an insect on it - or similar?

otherwise,

READ, or download, the instructions, either,

it needs resetting according to what they say, or,

there is some obstruction, muck, lack of lubrication, dead animal, in the chain mechanism. It reaches a tight point, then reverses.

Alternatively, pull the cord to release the mechanism, close the door manually, then run the remote to re-engage the chain.

:dunno:
These users thanked the author arco_iris for the post:
Lancastrian6
Rating: 7.14%
Lancastrian6

Post by Lancastrian6 »

Thank you for your prompt reply
This morning I have checked and there is no obstruction, muck, dead animal, in the chain mechanism.
As for possible lack of lubrication I diary note to do this every 3 months but to be sure I have relubricated this morning
Re the sensor beams across the closure, to prevent fouling obstacles where should I be looking to locate and clean the sensors
It is still dark but I have cleaned everything I can see plus cleaned the concrete floor where the door meets the concrete plus the bottom edge of the door itself
As for the instructions the installer did not leave any so I will have to try to locate and download a manual
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

I had this issue and unbeknown to me there is a couple of lithium batteries in the door sensor that controls the beam in case of obstruction of the door closing.
In my case I ordered the batteries off the manufacturer and they arrived the next day ( £12 including delivery) , then it was just a case of undoing 6 screws and swapping the batteries over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY9jkNAx7K0

Mike
These users thanked the author London mike 61 for the post:
Lancastrian6
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
Lancastrian6

Post by Lancastrian6 »

Thanks Mike
I have just come back into the house after making a note of the make of the system
It is a Marantec comfort 270 - I am in the process of downloading a manual onto my PC
I will go back out as soon as I can to try to locate the sensors - probably staring me in the face but it was dark earlier on and I am only an amateur at this sort of thing
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Have you turned it off and on again ? any errors on the display ?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... jY4iONsqBA
These users thanked the author Bob225 for the post:
Lancastrian6
Lancastrian6

Post by Lancastrian6 »

Thanks Bob
I have switched on and off - partial success - it does not back off but neither does it close down completely - there is a small gap of 3 or 4 inches
We have visitors so I have not had chance to inspect further but will be able to take a look o er the weekend

Return to “Electric Forum UK”