Cannon Oven taking long time to get hot help please

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

happyhero
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Cannon Oven taking long time to get hot help please

Post by happyhero »

Hi I am retired but have electrical knowledge from my old job and I have a Cannon floor standing oven, model C60ETX which is not working properly.

It seems to be taking forever to get to the maximum temperature of 230deg which my wife uses all the time as a keen cook.

Now a bit of history, I think it is about 8 years old but in good condition. It did the same thing in October 2018 so I took the back off and tested everything. I found the element round the oven fan blown and so ordered and fitted new. I also replaced the potentiometer at the same time as it looked cruddy although to be honest I probably jumped the gun having found that to be the cure in the past (it probably didn't need replacing). I watched the oven fan and found it to be too slow for what I thought it should be like so I took it out and checked to see if I could do anything. I found it to be a bit sticky as if it was a little gunged up so I cleaned it and put my cordless drill on the spindle and spun it while spraying it with degreaser and then cleaning it again after. It was a lot better after this, spinning quite freely. I refitted it and it spun much faster (I could really hear it running fast) I could see that through the glass door. The wife was happy again and everything worked great and fast.

Anyway roll on 4 months and now it’s doing a similar thing so I thought I know what’s wrong, that element has gone again, but it is working fine, I checked the ohms and all seems good with the 2 elements, one around the fan and one on the roof of the oven.

The fan may not be quite as fast, I can’t be sure, my wife thinks it’s still turning as it should but I remember it making more noise and turning faster I thought. It’s still fast enough to be a blur once running full so it’s difficult to be sure either way.

I then thought I’ll get an exploded diagram of the appliance but I cannot find that anywhere so I then thought I’ll check the parts list and see if it has another element. Although not the best way as the parts fit many models but I saw they do a base element so I checked my oven thinking that must have failed but there is no base element on my oven. There are no cables going to the bottom, even discreetly, and it takes major work to open the bottom so I am pretty confident there is no base element on our model.

I cannot believe the potentiometer has gone again as they seem to last quite well, the elements are ok so I’m thinking it could be the fan but is that what happens when the fan slows down that it struggles to reach the high temperature? I mean how would a fan help it increase temperature quickly surely it just circulates the heat evenly?

I know there is still the probe I have not tested but I didn’t find any connections to test for that and I am not sure what reading I would get off it anyway if I saw it. I assume the cable shoots off to the front to the controls area, it’s not testable at the back.

What should I do next? Can anybody guide me what to do next please?

Any help or info appreciated.
London mike 61

Re: Cannon Oven taking long time to get hot help please

Post by London mike 61 »

Have you tried posting your query on the white goods forum ?

https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/

They are the experts and will probably offer more specific advice.

Mike
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
jaeger

Post by jaeger »

If you have an oven thermometer what temp does it get too?
Is the door seal intact?

Do you have any way to check power consumption like a smart meter or a AC clamp meter
to monitor how the oven is cycling and if it's drawing the right power.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Did you replace the parts with genuine ones ?

E60ETX doesn't exist try C60ETX

Heat can make the bearings seize and also demagnetize the motor what will make it turn slower

I also see you have put this question on other forums besides here

Edit.

Cannon is a Hotpoint/Indesit brand, most of the parts are interchangeable

https://parts.hotpoint.co.uk/category/model_C60ETX scroll down to the line drawings

Edit 2.

Looks like the control boards are also a common issue on this range of models
Last edited by Bob225 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ericmark

Post by ericmark »

I would start with clamp meter, maybe a contact has burnt or something.
These users thanked the author ericmark for the post:
happyhero
Rating: 7.14%
peter c

Post by peter c »

I have had this a couple of times with Neff ovens. Basically the lubricant in the motor bearings dries up because of the heat. I found soaking the bearings for as long as possible with car engine oil did the trick.
I also made up a wiring rig so that I could bench test the motor to check how fast they were revolving. I found new motors were bl**dy expensive especially the Bosch/Neff ones.

Hope that helps
Peter C
The end justifies the means
happyhero
Newly registered Member

Post by happyhero »

sorry typo above on model number, can't seem to correct it in first post for some reason, it should read C60ETX as Bob225 spotted above thankfully
moderator2
UHM Super Moderator

Post by moderator2 »

happyhero wrote:sorry typo above on model number, can't seem to correct it in first post for some reason, it should read C60ETX as Bob225 spotted above thankfully
I've changed the original post. Members have only 20 minutes to edit their posts as an anti spam measure.
happyhero
Newly registered Member

Post by happyhero »

peter c wrote:I have had this a couple of times with Neff ovens. Basically the lubricant in the motor bearings dries up because of the heat. I found soaking the bearings for as long as possible with car engine oil did the trick.
I also made up a wiring rig so that I could bench test the motor to check how fast they were revolving. I found new motors were bl**dy expensive especially the Bosch/Neff ones.

Hope that helps
Peter C
I was considering renewing it anyway but don't want to get carried away buying parts for old cooker. Funny thing is the site I am using for spares because I've used it before and its competitive with prices too is Ransom Spares and on their list of parts they offer the oven fan for £26.90 and £70.40 and yet they class them as Genuine Spare Part. Neither says Genuine Cannon Part so how would I know there is any difference, I might as well pay for the cheaper one with the same guarantee. I think that site is playing with their wording. I'm happy with all parts I got from them in the past but I doubt its ever been the genuine make.

The point I'm making is that at £26 its tempting to change it especially as it played up once before but not if there is some other fault and it makes no difference.
peter c

Post by peter c »

If they are that cheap then I think I would buy one. The Bosch/Neff originals were around £120.
Another thing is if the oven is in an oven housing ensure there is plenty of air circulation especially if there is a solid kicker board at the bottom. Many years ago I was advised to cut a slot at the top of the kicker board for circulation and it seems to work!

HTH

Peter C
The end justifies the means
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I used Ransom spares for an element and it was cheapest but I have had no issues. It was bagged up as a Whirlpool part.

DWD
happyhero
Newly registered Member

Post by happyhero »

I wasn't confident the fan was spinning freely enough so I have taken it off and serviced it again and it spins longer after stopping now and I think goes faster while running but I Googled how long ovens take to heat to full and it seems most do it in 10minutes where as ours is taking 45 minutes to reach 230 degrees (the maximum) so something is very wrong.

Its performing similar to when the fan element failed so it really makes me think there is another element failed but I can see and have tested both the fan element and oven roof element and I cant find any other element. I havent opened the bottome as that is quite awkward to do, implying to me that it is not something you are meant to do and watching online videos shows the base element, if there is one being removed from the back at base level. I can see no wires going to the base but the way this oven is performing I'd say really makes it seem an elemnt has failed.

Is there anyway I can confirm how many elemnts the oven has?

Googling it I cannot find any exploded views nor any wiring diagrams. I've even looked up current models that look the same and they dont seem to have any wiring diagrams available either.

Why is it so difficult, at one time you could get exploded diagrams for loads of things. Its like a secret now. One diagram and I would know straight away if there was any other illusive element.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

happyhero wrote:Why is it so difficult, at one time you could get exploded diagrams for loads of things. Its like a secret now. One diagram and I would know straight away if there was any other illusive element.
Because appliance makers sell the books with wiring diagrams in, to those "in the trade"
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

To Quote myself
Bob225 wrote: Cannon is a Hotpoint/Indesit brand, most of the parts are interchangeable

https://parts.hotpoint.co.uk/category/model_C60ETX scroll down to the line drawings
demusss
Newly registered Member

Post by demusss »

Have you checked to see if there is an element at the bottom of the oven?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Return to “Electric Forum UK”